cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT Digital Voice phones used as purely a DECT phone

Go to solution

I've learnt from forum posts that, in spite of the use of the SH2 WPS button to pair the BT phones, the phone is fundamentally a DECT phone using the DECT standard and in no way uses WiFi. If so, can I use the phone and link it to another DECT standard base. For background, I was BT with SH2, but as the price has doubled in 2 years, I've switched to Sky. I now have no phone system it would appear and the money I spent additional BT handsets is now e-waste. Happy to be educated on the position.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Digital Voice phones used as purely a DECT phone

Go to solution

The BT DV phones are not standard DECT and I don't think they will pair to a third party base and even if you managed you would have very limited functionality 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @grahamb-uk   I considered selling my old HD with Alexa phones on eBay, but the prices were so low I simply gave them away to another BT DV family member. You may consider keeping them just in case you return to BT in the future (remove the batteries).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm heading towards.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Increasing appears that way. The fact that I bought extra phones and all of this was not clear at the point of purchases leaves a very sour taste. I don't think the regulators have done the customers any favours. It appears the current systems mean BT have created something proprietary and the lack of standards has increased the chance of e-waste and customer wasted money. So with DECT, you could mix and match manufactures, but now BT have a functional rich solution, but created a tie-in that penalises me financially when I move on as a result of BT price increases of 100% in 26 months. We need a new (SIP based I presume) standard to protect the customer and solution to retain landline numbers very quickly with the move to DV. I  can only see ever more upset and frustrated customers going forwards. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

They should pair to a generic base station but with a basic feature set. ie they'll make &receive calls but little else.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

I'd absolutely live with that - but haven't found how to do so yet. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Just deregister from the SH2 & then combine the pairing instructions of the phone with those of the base station.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

The SH2 is now de-installed - I'm no longer with them! I could re-power it and try, but not sure that works. I have done a factory reset which I presume does the same job. When I use the pair button on the DECT base (Panasonic), the device doesn't pair. Not sure where to go next - has anyone had first hand experience doing this this successfully with a BT. I'm sort of persuaded by @imjolly  answer that BT is not standard DECT - which is sort of an oxymoron!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

"Factory reset" seems be be a rather ambiguous term these days in regards to what it actually does. I'd be inclined to fire up the SH2 & try the de-registration process (if there is one!) before trying to pair with the base station.

But having said that, previous posts suggest that a handset can't be paired with the SH2 until DV is active. So it's possible that you can't de-register without an active DV either. Only one way to find out...

0 Ratings