cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 32

Re: BT Digital, vulnerable client struggling & needs help

Go to solution

normally once moved to DV there is no way back to analogue

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

I don’t know if it helps but I was moved to DV about 6 weeks ago.  I have a Panasonic cordless system about 6 years old.  Answer phone is set at 5 rings and it kicks in before the 1571.  (I’ve never adjusted the 1571…not even looked at it).

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

Prompted me to have a quick look.

The 1571 default appears to be set to 7 rings.  The max is 10 rings and I can’t see a way of disabling it altogether.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution
Apparently in MyBT one can change the 1571 number or rings to maximum there. Somewhere under 'your products' >>>>>phone etc.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

I have been round to establish the situation.

1. Her  phone now appears to be working and she can make and receive calls.

2. I have established that there is no other answerphone plugged in, so the 1571 service is working. No-one had explained how the new phone which BT gave her works. I have tried to ensure that she knows how to listen to messages.

3. She did not ask to be switched to Digital Voice. The first she knew of it was a email saying that a package would be delivered and she was informed that an engineer was coming on a certain day (a Monday). She had no choice.

4.  The engineer who came on the Monday did not know what he was supposed to be doing, did not know how to fit DV and was unable to do the job, so another was booked for later in the week.

5. The second engineer fitted the supplied equipment (a new phone, a router, etc but not the voice adapter) and left, saying that someone would come round and show her how to use it. In the meantime she had no phone service.

6. That person came, but left without ensuring that she understood what to do. (She is mentally alert so it ought to have been possible to help her.) He said that another person would come to explain it all.

7.  The other person came but she was still in the dark about how to use the answerphone and the facilities on the new phone.

8. She was left with cardboard debris and bits of tech such as the router strewn around. I know there is a bag to send stuff back to BT and I will take the bag to the post office for her, but she erroneously perceived a threat that she would be charged if she delayed. She can't 'just get to a post office'.

9. She is very upset that BT have charged her over £100 for this, when she didn't ask for it and she is very obviously a housebound, very elderly person in poor health. I thought the changeover was supposed to be free. 

10. I have printed out the Vulnerable Clients form for her and one way or another we'll get it to her doctor for authentication. Thank you for the link.

11. She has decided to buy a simple mobile phone.

I am  very disappointed that BT handled this in the way they did. I don't think that treating a very elderly client like this is acceptable or kind. I do think that BT could consider training for people who go out to explain the mysteries of the service to vulnerable clients. Elderly people aren't stupid but they come from a world with simpler technology and it's easy for us to take knowledge for granted.

I am very grateful for the ideas which you have suggested and it certainly meant that I was better prepared for going round to try and help her.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

There is something not right here. There is no charge for being converted to DV.

I will ask if one of the mods can take a look for you. They will post on the thread.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

Possible paid for a home visit to assist with setup?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

If so, it needs refunding!!!

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

Thank you for asking one of the moderators to look at this. 

She is certain that she didn't contact BT to ask for any changes. She had no need to. Everything was working fine for her! She did ask the engineer whether someone could come and help her understand the new set up, as he only had time to go through it quickly. No charges were mentioned. Nor has she been sent an email or a letter saying that a charge for anything would be made. She found out about it when she checked her bank statement and discovered that as well as her usual direct debit  payment, another payment had been taken.

She is a retired maths teacher and generally independent-minded. Goodness knows how an elderly person less alert would manage all this. 

I appreciate all the help which has been offered here.

0 Ratings