cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Can I use BT Hub and Advanced Handsets (with Alexa) with another Broadband supplier

My wife is losing her sight and nakes much use of the Alexa facility on our Advanced Digital Home Phone to make calls.  This facility is invaluable to her, and I believe that it is the combination of the handset and the BT Hub that makes this possible.

However, I find the Call Protect product offered by the service seriously sub-standard when compared with other broadband providers,  I would like to change my broadband provider but keep my BT Hub and the Advanced Digital Home Phones to give me the Alexa facility.  Has anyone got a view on whether this may be workable? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I use BT Hub and Advanced Handsets (with Alexa) with another Broadband supplier

the BT hub will only work with Bt broadband and phone will only work with hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Can I use BT Hub and Advanced Handsets (with Alexa) with another Broadband supplier

Any system that uses blacklisting such as Call Protect is doomed to failure as the list is infinite.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Switching phone suppliers won't help with unwanted calls, you need additional hardware for that. BT have a number of phones with Call Guardian built in, that allows all callers not in your contacts to be forced to announce themselves before being put through. Spammers & scammers never do. The only down side is there would be no integration with the DV phones, so you would have to maintain two contacts lists.

An alternative way to make voice calls is with Amazon's Echo devices. They support voice calling via the EE & Vodafone mobile networks but not via landlines.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I did consider this, but one of the numbers that she calls frequently is overseas, and the Amazon Echo devices seem to refuse to make calls to overseas numbers. Unless you know different
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I wasn't aware of that limitation but apparently it's limited to UK, North America & Mexico.

So looks like the best option is to stay with BT for the voice calling & add a device to screen calls.

0 Ratings