Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Cancelling BT Landline and keeping BB FTTP

Hi

I am approaching my end of contract.

I want to cancel my Landline and keep my FTTP Broad Band

I read that you must have a Landline to retain FTTP ? . Can think why ?

I did have FTTC and of course needed a copper land line to bring that in but FTTP is a complete separate fibre cable to the house.

The reason I want to cancel my Landline is DV is coming to my area soon and I use my own Netgear router and don't want to use Smart Hub 2 

Has anyone got any advice please

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cancelling BT Landline and keeping BB FTTP

when you go to renew your contract just renew for Broadband ONLY  that way you will have no ability to make or receive calls

you are confusing the need for a line for Broadband whether copper or fibre with the ability to make phone calls on home phone  you need a 'line' but can decide not to have ability to make/receive calls    ie broadband only

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

The BT Help line i phoned said i need to keep an active phone line ?

Just to add to the confusion I have 2 BT Landlines . (old fax requirement) .

Line 1 my 40 year old home line number

Line 2 my old line/number i used for Fax . This was the one that had FTTC on it

But now I'm FTTP so why do i need a phone line ? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

You need a line for broadband whether copper or fibre and that cost is included in package price. You don't need to have ability to make/receive phone calls on your home phone so when contract comes to renew you make sure you move to BROADBAND ONLY

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

"The BT Help line i phoned said I need to keep an active phone line ?"

If by that the BT agent meant you have to keep an active copper phone line, then that is plain wrong if you are on FTTP, although it appears that such incorrect advice from BT customer services is not unusual.
Your FTTP service can be broadband only, or broadband with digital voice for the phone. Both are carried over the same fibre optic cable.

0 Ratings