cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Change my landline phone number

I have recently moved my telephone provider to BT from BT Business.  When I placed the order I was told I could change my phone number from the new one given to me back to the one I had previously for 50+ years.  Can anyone advise how I can do this online?  I can't seem to find the correct place on the website.  I am set up with MyBT.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Change my landline phone number

@william43 wrote:

I have recently moved my telephone provider to BT from BT Business.  When I placed the order I was told I could change my phone number from the new one given to me back to the one I had previously for 50+ years.  Can anyone advise how I can do this online?  I can't seem to find the correct place on the website.  I am set up with MyBT.

@william43 

I doubt you could move a number from BT Business to BT Retail, as they are separate parts of the company.

All you can do is to ask BT customer services for a re-number, but I would be surprised if they could do it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi @william43 and welcome to our community.

Are you moving to a digital voice service or is your line a copper line? Did you have the number ported to your business line previously?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

I assume we have a copper line. I can’t answer your second question as I don’t understand it, sorry. 
when I opened the new domestic account the man definitely said I could change the number once the new line was activated 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for getting back @william43 .

Sorry for any confusion. I was asking if the number you're wanting to keep was used for your business account?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Yes it was used for our business which is just a family farm so should never have been a business line really. We overpaid for years!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@william43 wrote:

Yes it was used for our business which is just a family farm so should never have been a business line really. We overpaid for years!

BT would classify that as a commercial usage, so a business account would be correct. Residential accounts do not allow commercial usage. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Technically there should be no difference between a BT business and a BT residential number. Unless it was part of a multi line group or was a direct dial number. In this instance as it was a single line number used by a farm I can't see any reason why the original number cannot be given back to you. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@Devon_Dave wrote:

Technically there should be no difference between a BT business and a BT residential number. Unless it was part of a multi line group or was a direct dial number. In this instance as it was a single line number used by a farm I can't see any reason why the original number cannot be given back to you. 

The problem is that BT Business and BT Retail are separate, and if the farm business is still being advertised anywhere, then its still a business. If the business had stopped trading, and was now just a family residence, then a new number would be appropriate, otherwise they would keep getting calls about their business. All they need to do is to inform family and friends of their new phone number.

I think the moderators are going to have to decide on that, after taking advice from higher up.

Re-issuing advertised business numbers could have legal implications as another business could take over the number and potentially mislead customers. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I changed my home account to business and back again to home and kept the same number throughout.
0 Ratings