cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Crackling noise on landline

Go to solution

We have a bad crackling noise on our landline. We have had the master socket replaced, the hub replaced and a new copper line put in all the way back to the junction box, but the problem persists.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be welcomed

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Crackling noise on landline

Go to solution

You’ll just have to report it as a fault again and get an Openreach Engineer out to try and locate/fix it.

A Crackling Noise will usually be caused by either a High Resistance Fault, Rectified Loop and or Battery Contact. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Ok, thanks. I’m just getting tired of reporting the fault (we must do this on a quarterly basis for the 15 years we have lived here), only for an engineer to replace a part, which either doesn’t fix the crackle or might improve things for a few weeks, but then it comes back again. Very frustrating!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Liz10,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry if you're experiencing issues with your telephone service. Is the noise on the line all the time or does it tend to only be there when there is rain or windy?

I can see from the first post you had a few things replaced. Have you tried another phone just to rule out an issue with the phone itself?

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi

I would say that it is not exclusively linked to it being windy and rainy (ie it has also been crackly on nice days) but it probably is consistently bad in bad weather and less consistently bad in good weather.

We don’t  have another phone to try but engineers who have come over have detected problems using their equipment.

They do always try to fix it and sometimes it might temporarily work but generally it returns  to being crackly very quickly.

Our broadband is also very patchy - which I assume is linked?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Liz10 wrote:

Our broadband is also very patchy - which I assume is linked?

Indeed it is, get rid of the crackling and your broadband will improve.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Liz10,

Thank you for posting back. If you send me your details, I'll run a few checks on your line.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Liz10  if your crackling noise is on a static landline phone, this elusive problem could be the handset to base pluggable cord. Installing a replacement handset cord might be the fix for this problem. Move the handset's cord plug and then the base's cord plug to test if they produce crackling noise on the landline phone. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks all

Really appreciate everyone’s input

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Liz10  please share an update on solution, so that other community users derive benefit from your experience. Thank you. 

0 Ratings