cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

DV Handsets v Home DECT Phones

Go to solution

Hi,

Having almost forgotten I joined this forum nearly three years ago, the only indication of this was a failure to create a new account. However, it appears at last our wait may soon be over for FTTP. (a few weeks at most fingers crossed). I already have the SH2 plus the EE backup and am now wondering  what to do with my Panasonic Dect phones. I have two connected to my  existing phone line with a number of wireless "extensions". When I switch  to FTTP I will be requiring to retain the phone service albeit in digital form at least for the short term. I understand I can squeeze a couple of Voip DV phones from BT to use instead of my existing set up. As there appears to be no  base station, I presume these phones talk "wirelessly" to the SH2. My query is this - given that my existing DECT phones will work  when I plug  the line into the "green" socket on the back of the hub , will the DV phones work in tandem with my home phones  or is it a case of one or the other?

Cheers

PT

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: DV Handsets v Home DECT Phones

Go to solution

The SH2 is a DECT base station and DV phones connect to SH2 by DECT not WiFi. You can connect existing Panasonic to socket on hub an dwill work in conjunction with DV phones 

I suggest to read FAQ about dv

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

All is explained in the faq https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

But yes, you can use both systems in tandem, I do.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks very much for the info. That answers my query. BTW I used the term "wirelessly" instead of wifi as DECT and Wifi operate on two different frequency spectrums. (you knew that...)
Cheers
PT
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

The only anomaly I have discovered so far (there are probably others), is that calls answered on the DV handset show as missed calls on the old DECT handsets.

Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

I'll look out for that, although missed calls usually stay  missed in our house until such times the caller calls again or doesn't.  Will  the 1571 facility still work?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Ah, that's the other thing.

Yes,1571 is now effectively compulsory on DV. If you would rather your own answering machine takes the call, set the number of rings on 1571 to maximum and lower the number of rings on your answering machine.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

I somehow managed to cancel the 1571 process , can't quite remember just how I did it though.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

@TimCurtis wrote:

I somehow managed to cancel the 1571 process , can't quite remember just how I did it though.

How do I cancel Voicemail?

You can easily cancel Voicemail online. Go to www.bt.com/callingfeatures and click the Manage my calling features button. This will start an online order process. Put in your home number and postcode and confirm you're the BT account holder to continue.

The next screen will show any calling features that are currently on your line. To cancel Voicemail, scroll down and click the "Remove all my messaging features" radio button. Alternatively, if you'd like to keep BT Call Protect, click that radio button instead.

Click Continue to complete the cancellation order

You can also manage all your calling features (including ordering, upgrading and cancelling them) at www.bt.com/mybt.

Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

I will shortly move across to DV; I'm sort of ok with that. Anyway I intend to embrace it so will drop the Analogue handset(base + phones) & switch to DV phone(s) when the time comes. But then this query popped up. 

Is it true I can only use BT DV phone ie. not any VOIP  supplier handsets. Basically they can only be DV compatible handsets that work with SH2 & BT DV service? 

And what if I decided to change (phone/broadband contract)  would I have to change DV handsets as well?

0 Ratings