cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

DV and ADSL a definitive answer please.

Go to solution

As you know from a previous post I have been hassled (In my opinion by BT sales) about contract renewal, insisting that I must have BT Fibre 2 in my package for DV. I have told them that I can still get DV over my ADSL line which the sales guy said no. 

Anyway after cancelling, pronto, the order I would ask again here to confirm that as long as ADSL continues for approx another 2 years I can in fact use my existing ADSL and the appropriate SH2 Hub to get DV if and when I am switched over? I think I shall not get bother with any new contracts and let the current one run its course until March and then pay the extra it will presume cost me to be out of a fixed contract. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: DV and ADSL a definitive answer please.

Go to solution

If you have WBC FTTP available then you'll only be offered FTTP with DV (or even broadband only) when renewing contract.

If you wait for just DV migration (you'll get a letter 4weeks in advance) then you stay on ADSL

There's a policy that if WBC FTTP is a to a property that before only have ADSL then WBC FTTP takes priority as the product available when moving to a new contract/renewing 

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks for that. I'll wait then and also ignore renewal of contract nagging either by email or phone.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

At the moment your ADSL connection ‘routing’ is exchange equipment ( System X or Y ) delivering dialtone and your telephone service, into and out of the ADSL equipment ( also in the exchange ) then onto the copper pair network to your home , one reason why FTTC can provide better speed it’s only is the distance to from the cab to your home that can degrade broadband rather that the longer distance from home to exchange, plus FTTC is VDSL not ADSL , hence the much improved potential speed from FTTC .

Its the System X and System Y PSTN equipment being turned off , the  ADSL equipment can also be configured to deliver IP telephony , so although not a long term plan ( its likely that in the longer term BT Group would like to vacate your local exchange building completely ) in the short term you can continue as you are ( albeit with IP telephony ) , but as stated  , any  change , so migration to another ISP , or renewal of a minimum term will result in the ISP having to use FTTC or FTTP if it’s available.

As you are aware of this and happy to continue , apart from having to decline any ‘upgrade’ offers , you should be OK for a while ….eventually it’s probably going to be a case of you having to move to newer technology or give up service , but  that point is still some way off .