cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Digital Voice - Long house - Office Cabin

Go to solution

I have the SH2 which is now Digital Voice.  Advised the sales person when upgrading I had a large house where I had Ubiquiti Unifi WAP's throughout.

Sales person recommended BT Essential Digital Phone.  I asked, will this work over my wireles at the other end of the house.  'Yes', he replied.

And now I have discovered the true capability of these handsets.  WPS/DECT to the SH2.  Garbage.

Does the digital voice adapter plug work over the copper?  If i connect it and then walk 30 metres to the other end of the house, is this going to work?
Do BT offer a true VOIP phone system that maintains my landline?  I have floodwired Cat5e so I am happy to go into ethernet.

Any help, would be gratefully received.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Digital Voice - Long house - Office Cabin

Go to solution
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

BT Digital Voice is purely a BT proprietary version of DECT.

The DV adapters are simply portable analogue phone socket that connect back to the hub via DECT.

If a DV handset doesn't work in a given location, neither will an adapter.

Your only solution is to revert to utilising analogue phone wiring connected to the green socket at the rear of the hub.

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@BrokenArrow 

The DV adapter only connects via DECT to the Smart Hub 2, so range is limited.

BT Retail do not offer an alternative VOIP option, only BT Business have that option.

You could use a third party VOIP provider, but the BT digital phones would not work with that.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

You might be able to use a Dect repeater (some are poe).

I should add, I have never tried a Dect repeater so if you try one I would make sure you can return it if it fails to meet expectations.

As many others have found out, many BT personnel don't seem to  understand the difference between WiFi and Dect

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@BrokenArrow 

If you read the FAQ  probably best solution is described using your existing wiring and existing phones

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@countrypaul 

The SH2 doesn't support a repeater.

@BrokenArrow 

Can you use ethernet to move the SH2 to a more central location?

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for that.  Yes, much experimentation on my part failed to deliver the results i desired.

Incorrectly sold by a BT Sales person.  I guess he did not really understand what I was talking about so just said 'yes' to my questions.
All the BT Digital phones are going back.  Support person at BT said that something may arrive in future technologies from a 3rd party but, nothing there at the present.

That will teach me to have a very long house.  Doh!

Appreciate all the help from the community.  Amazing.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@BrokenArrow 

Its not likely that BT Retail will change the secure method it uses in their implementation of VOIP. Even BT Business require that customer equipment is configured by them.

As its already been pointed out, its simple enough to extend the ATA interface on the back of the Smart Hub 2, treating that like you would any other extension that used to run from the old master socket.

0 Ratings