cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Digital Voice –for 97 year old vulnerable - 2 months and still not working

3 months ago, my 97 year old mother who is virtually blind and has dementia, accepted that a care home would provide her with the best around the clock support. Up until then she lived alone, but depended heavily on her (PSTN) landline phone and the emergency assist necklace that uses the phone line. As an account manager for her account, I phoned BT and worked through their moving home process. I asked for the (copper cable) landline that was already in her room to be enabled. Disconnect the landline at her previous bungalow and, because she was only moving less than a mile in distance, I asked them to transfer her existing phone number.

It took BT, 4 weeks to connect a pre-existing line for an existing customer of 30+ years, who they ought to treat as vulnerable (but Christmas/NewYear probably exaggerated the delay). And I was surprised towards the end of this wait, to learn they were converting her to Digital Voice, closing her prior account and treating her like a new customer and they were sending a Smart Hub2 to a near blind 97 year old with dementia!.

So I installed The Smart Hub 2 in accordance with the instructions, and plugged the DECT analogue answer phone in to the back of the Smart Hub 2 again as per their instructions.  (at 97 she has zero understanding or use for this “’new fangled internet” stuff – she is a digital voice only user.)

That was 2 months ago – the good news is it has worked for nearly all of the last 2 months for outbound phone calls. But for pretty much all of that 2 months, other people phoning her from their landlines get number unobtainable or the call just goes dead after dialling. Strangely most people are able to phone her OK if they phone via their UK mobile phone.

Fault reporting , escalating and diagnostics has recently been more challenging because I have had to be abroad (in Canada) for a few months. To further compound the failings, if I use a landline from here in Canada via a low cost VOIP transatlantic phone call provider all I get is a Canadian message saying that the (UK) number I have dialled “is not assigned”. Similarly, when my brother who lives in Italy tried to phone his mother from his Italian landline he gets a similar “number not assigned” message in Italian.

To date, I have done 3 online chat sessions with BT technical support; first 2 chats took over 1 hour each – the last chat 3 days ago took 2 hours. I have now concluded that online chats with BT technical support are pointless. They are clearly locked in to a set of diagnostics scripts and they seem incapable of getting past the step that involves them interrogating their Smart Hub 2 to confirm that there is a device (my Mums analogue phone) plugged in to it. All 3 chat sessions get stuck with them asking me to unplug the phone, leave it for X seconds then plug it in again. And or they suggest rebooting the smart Hub 2. Doing any of these things from 3000 miles away in Canada is challenging, fortunately the care home have been an amazing help – and very patient.

Status after the 3rd chat (and after 4 hours on their chat) – they again asked me to unplug it and replug it. At that point I remembered the definition of insanity “doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result”, I am not going to yet again ask the care home to unplug and replug the phone in to the hub and/or reboot it. Hasn’t provided a miracle cure the last 3 times – not likely to in future. I gave suggested some options: A. BT send an engineer, B. They revert her to PSTN or C. I close the account and get a loud, big button dumb cell phone instead (whilst seemingly attractive, with my mother’s lack of eyesight and dementia the ideal is she continue to use the analogue handset she is familiar with (anything new such as a digital voice handset or a new big cell phone who cause panic).

The above options were because after 3 chat sessions and repeated unplugging and rebooting that :

I concluded either The Smart Hub is faulty or The “plug your analogue phone in to the smart hub” is a myth, it feels like perhaps her analogue phone is not compatible with Digital Voice –( but BT have never suggested this possibility) or Digital Voice as a technology product is still just too buggy, too bleeding edge. In other words Digital Voice is not fit for purpose.

I’ve read somewhere that there might be a policy that BT will not force vulnerable customers over 70 years old (who use phone based emergency alert necklaces etc) to transfer to Digital Voice. Instead my call was escalated to the Tech support manager who said that they would send an engineer to visit to try to get the bottom of the issue, and having classified her as “urgent welfare” they assured me that the engineer would visit within the next 30 hours. Well 3 days later and no sign of the engineer, and they haven’t phoned the care home to make an appointment – so their promised action is looking unlikely.

To me these problems seem to be more about configuration and call routing – but I’m no expert – it is certainly hard to imagine how replugging the phone in to the smart hub is going to resolve “number not assigned” international calls.  But incoming international calls are a nice to have – I just need UK landlines to be able to reliably call her.

During the 2nd chat session, they informed me that they had raised a compliant for this issue on my behalf. I wrongly thought that this would be some form of issue escalation, someone would pick it up, investigate, find the issue and get it working. Sadly it appears that a complaint is just a note on the account, it triggers zero action – BT is stuck on they can not “see” her phone plugged in to the Smart Hub when they interrogate the Smart Hub remotely.

I dread that I have to spend another hour on a chat session querying why they have failed to send out an engineer when they said they would, and more importantly get them to send the engineer. Perhaps if their own engineer visits then they will dig deeper that unplugging it.

I’ll be back in UK in a few weeks, then I will be able to phone them whilst standing beside the phone and jumping through the pointless hoops they request. But that will be the last chance because after that I’ll close the account and get a simple elderly cell phone for her because it feels like with BT dropping PSTN and transferring everyone to Digital Voice they are abandoning the elderly/vulnerable.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Digital Voice –for 97 year old vulnerable - 2 months and still not working

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

@HillClimb  I've flagged this to moderators who can help.

Sounds like a number porting issue.

FYI, since September 5th 2023 there was a nationwide stop of new analogue phone (PSTN) orders hence probably why Digital Voice was supplied - more info on stop sell : https://landlinesgo.digital/stop-sell

Message 4 of 19

Thanks @jac_95 

I look forward to a moderator contacting me.....

On the lengthy chats, tech support wouldn't even consider the various use cases of inbound calls not connecting, they gave no indication of investigating number porting (or any other config) as possible causes of the issues I was reporting

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

News article from The Telegraph December 2023. 

We did not request Digital Voice, we have never "Opted In", we were not informed that that was what they were forcing on us until immediately before they installed it in early January. No she is not a new customer, she has been with BT for 30+ years and Yes at the very start when I phoned the BT House Move team I mentioned her age and that she was moving in to a care home. I don't recall mention of her healthcare pendant - they never asked. 

Telegraph_DigVoice_122023.JPG 

Whether it is PSTN or Digital Voice, I simply want a phone that works for both inbound and outbound, including emergency pendant connections, but so far online tech support aren't investigating deeply enough.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

@HillClimb 

is your mother register here  https://www.bt.com/help/here-for-you and here  https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/including-you/BT_Free_Priority_Fault_Repair_Scheme.pdf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 19

Hi @HillClimb,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry to read about your mom's poor experience from she was switched to Digital Voice. I agree with @jac_95, it sounds like it is a porting issue that is stopping her from being able to receive all incoming calls. If you send me the details, I'll get this investigated. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

Message 8 of 19

It's good that the moderators are now getting involved but BT's "service" on this matter really is appalling.
It's clear that their Helpline staff are woefully under-trained and entirely reliant on scripts which they just go through mindlessly and repeatedly, even when these actions have repeatedly failed to solve the issue.
What is really needed is for the first agent that is contacted about an issue to "own" it until it is resolved, and be empowered to take up the issue with the appropriate experts within BT to get this resolution.
There appears to be no hope, however, that BT will adopt this approach, preferring to have a different agent answering each time you get in touch to tell them that your issue has not been resolved, so the cycle is just endlessly repeated. Dohh!!
Message 9 of 19

@PaddyBthank you for the message - I have replied to your PM with the information you requested.

I look forward to someone investigating and resolving these issues.

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

@chrisjpbased upon all of the online chats with BT tech support to date - you are not wrong

It appears a moderator is now getting involved and I hope they can get this fixed

0 Ratings