cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

Digital Voice migration

I'm on FTTC and just received an email to say I will be moving to DV within 30 days. No sweat. I know I don't need FTTP for DV.

However, I've found the following: 

BarkingMadBarking_0-1690477270769.png

My question is, could I move my landline to another VOIP provider instead of just cancelling it? It would in effect give me a BB only scenario. I called the number but it was new territory for the advisor. 

Thanks

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: Digital Voice migration

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 28

This is what I'm thinking.

Call BT and say I want a BB only plan. Hopefully it will be at favourable rates - comparable to my current deal. Hopefully no Early Termination Charges. Cancelling the move to DV will release my current BT landline number. 

Under Ofcom rules, I can then approach a VOIP provider and ask them to port by old BT number to them.

Switching - landline - Ofcom

When signing up with a new provider you can also request to keep your old phone number for free by contacting your new provider even if you have already cancelled your previous service (as long as you request this within one month of cancelling).

It looks possible to me. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 28

your would need to port your number before changing broadband and this would terminate your existing broadband and phone contract.  you may incur early termination cost but you mat be able to negotiate a new broadband only contract remember broadband only is £2/5 cheaper.  moving to broadband only will lose your phone number and have nothing to port

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 28

If I move to BB only, I'm moving from FTTC to SOGEA. With the move to SOGEA there is the Integral Number Port option

https://www.pack-net.co.uk/blog/upgrade-your-fttc-to-sogea-and-transfer-your-number-at-the-same-time...

www.btwholesale.com/assets/documents/help-and-support/broadband/broadband-ordering-guides/bz-broadba...

Looks as though it is technically possible.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

If you take the option to convert your BT service to broadband only , potentially saving £2-5 a month by not having any telephony at all with BT ( the saving may be more if you have a calls plan that you pay for ) , your ‘old’ number would simply become a spare number  , and potentially another provider could enquire with BT  about porting the number , using the supposed 30 day window after the ‘cease’  , but it’s a risk , there hasn’t been much ‘chat’ about this new process and if it’s successful or not , ultimately it’s the VoIP company you use that would be responsible for this  , not BT , so if it didn’t work that would pretty much be the end of it .

I suppose rather than asking here , you should be asking the company you would like to provide this number if they guarantee arranging this port, after BT dispense with the number .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 28

hi @iniltous 

I think our posts may have crossed. There appears to be another option. 

Whether I save money is up for debate.  My BT account shows the prices to be £3 more than what I'm paying at the moment, and are the same whether I have PSTN or not.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 28

Is there any chance of passing my query to a BT technical expert? 

Message 9 of 28

Even better post the contact details for the Technical Expert live on this forum.

According to all of the guidance what BarkingMadBarking proposes is allowed under the OFCOM Guidance and the Telecom Adjudicator says that it is best practice.

Telecommunications Adjudicator update for May 2022 | OTA (offta.org.uk)

If it is a BT Community Board run by BT then the moderators and Gurus should know the answers or they should find out and should post the answer here.

Sometimes I am bemused by the response to legitimate queries on this board:

all too often the answer seems to be send us a message, (with all of your personal details), (off board)), which is at best sub-optimal and we then lose capacity to see what is happening and what the answers are and the self proclaimed Gurus just pass the buck.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

@Perceptive 

Everyone on this forum is just a customer trying to help other customers and only BT employees are the forum mods.  The mods get personal information before they can help and last thing anyone wants is to post their personal account information on open public forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings