cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 28

Re: Digital voice and weak to non existent mobile signal - so what do info if there’s a power outage

@outlaw123 

Try using the Opensignal app, it's gives you true coverage data, not predicted data.

We used it to find the best mobile network where we live.

https://www.opensignal.com/apps#section-os-app

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 28

Re: Digital voice and weak to non existent mobile signal - so what do info if there’s a power outage

We dont have any mobile signal.We dont have a mast anywhere near us. There is no sign of getting a mast anytime soon.

Message 13 of 28

@outlaw123 

No provider has a mast near to you?

I assume then that you're extremely rural which will put you in the 1%.

Of course the answer would be a satellite phone, but maybe not at a starting price of around £350 & £50 a month for 60 minutes.

Providers should be legally bound to provide a full service to everyone, regardless of the cost of the necessary installations & that should include satellite phone contracts for the same prices as ordinary mobile phones, in lieu of installing the infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 28

Yes we are in the 1%. No one seems to take this seriously but we have had years of problems.

Message 15 of 28

@outlaw123 

Well it's totally unacceptable to be in a potential situation where you can't even contact the emergency services, just on the basis of infrastructure cost.

Has anyone in your area suggested heavily subsidised satellite phones to your MP?

Maybe that would prompt BT to stump up free battery backup for your WiFi.

Message 16 of 28

Great idea. I already have my MP on board.

Message 17 of 28

@outlaw123 

Are you on an ADSL connection or Fibre to the Cabinet, then copper to your home, (FTTC)?

The reason I ask is that if it is ADSL then no problem - your line will go directly back to a telephone exchange with backup batteries and possibly generators.

However, if you are on an FTTC connection, the weak link in the chain could be the back-up batteries in the cabinet. I have seen suggestions on these and other forums that they may only be designed to last for 30 minutes or so if they lose mains power.

So even if you got a battery pack that would keep your equipment running for hours, you still wouldn't have a connection once the cabinet fails.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 28

@Paul608085 

Good point, the street cabinets don't have a long backup time but his concern is compounded by the lack of a mobile signal so maybe Plan A with a subsidised satellite phone could be the answer.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 28

Fibre then copper so I guess it will be hit and miss. We regularly get power cuts in windy weather.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 28

@caravanj 

"a subsidised satellite phone could be the answer."

You are probably right, but who, under the current systems/rules is going to subsidise a satellite phone for @outlaw123  and others like him in a similar situation?

Developing on the satellite idea, I wonder if Starlink might be the answer to the problem - for both broadband and telephony?

https://www.starlink.com

I have no personal experience, (or links with), Starlink.

Has anyone tried, or read about experiences, of VoIP via Starlink?

*VoIP: Voice over Internet Protocol - basically speech telephony over an internet connection, (Digital Voice being one example).

0 Ratings