cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital voice confusion

I use an Netgear Nighthawk pro gaming (XR500) router connected to an openreach modem. I do not use a BT router because they suck, lack any features I need and they have always disconnected me constnatly so I am not using them.

I made this very clear to BT support when asking about Digital voice and have been told the following by three different people.
"If you want to use your current phone then you will need to plug it into a Digital Vioce Apater. It should then work without the need of the SmartHub2, If you want to use the new Alexa handset then the SmartHub 2 is required"

Perfect, confirmed by three people...sadly no, It has been roughtly 24 hours since I recieved my adapter and got an email  from BT saying everything is now setup and ready to use. Plugged my phone into the adapter and its not working at all.
If i try to call the landline I go straight to BT voicemail, calling out from the landline just gives me beeps.

I can't use the SmartHub2 because honestly it is not fit for its purpose, plus they never sent me one. The only other option I have seen is to purchase a BT business router and set it to bridge mode since the Smarthub2 can't do it.

Has anyone been given the same/different information from BT as me ?
They said they could send an enginear out to check but that will not be until wednesday..Kind of need a landline before then.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital voice confusion

@Aaron111 

You have not been told the truth, the Digital Voice Adapter only connects, using DECT, to the Smart Hub 2.  The only way to get Digital Voice, is with the smart hub 2.

If you need your phone line right away, then the only way is connect up the Smart Hub 2 to your phone line instead of what you have at the moment.

If BT have not sent a Smart Hub 2, then they should have done, prior to your changeover to Digital Voice. You will have to give them a call.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Well then I would honestly love to know why I have been told differntly by three different people from BT support. One person making the misitake sure...but three ? 😞

Correct they never sent me a Smarthub, but even if they did I honestly can't use it as it lacks the features that I require which are provided by my current router.

I know the Buisiness smart hub allowed you to put it into bridge mode, can't I just buy the Buisiness smart hub 2 and put that into bridge mode as well and just let it deal with the digital voice ? 

This is honestly stupid of BT, misinformation and trying to force people to use horrible hardware when some us actually have better equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

There is a lot of misleading information being given out.

I doubt if the BT Business Hub 2 would support the residential phone service, as BT Business have their own voice options, but I cannot confirm that.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

DV is BT’s proprietary residential phone service , if you want to use it , you have to use BT equipment to access it, much like Sky TV ( for example ) would someone be annoyed that they had to use a Sky receiver to watch the programming, because they  preferred to use some third party set top box provider…it’s part of the deal.
BT now sell broadband without a phone service , so if using third party kit is preferable , but also wanting to have a phone service (and not wanting to leave BT broadband ) , you could take the no phone BT broadband option ( saves a few ££ ) and use a regular VoIP provider for telephony.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

"you could take the no phone BT broadband option ( saves a few ££ ) and use a regular VoIP provider for telephony."

@iniltous Don't want to hijack someones thread, but is it possible to keep your number doing the above?

0 Ratings