cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Does Digital Voice Actually Work With FTTP?

@Customer66 wrote:

as has been posted many times until you see phone configured and a phone number in hub manager then you will not have an active home phone

So if it is so obvious to many on here - why don't BT do that?

do what? 

did you move exchange/area code in your house move?  are you trying to retain existing phone number?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

"As far as the BT representative claiming that the number you had would be provided, perhaps they were mistaken, there isn’t enough information to make a judgement.."
I have to say that we do hear far too often on this forum of BT representatives giving out false information to customers wanting to change anything about their phone or broadband service. These representatives seem to be woefully badly trained and normally just read from scripts. I also suspect that they are on incentives to make sales, and to end conversations with customers as quickly as possible with a "resolved" tick in the box.
Message 13 of 21

@iniltous 

Its a matter of fact that once the executive level complaints people get involved the BT Mods on here ( they are the only BT employees ) defer to them , which makes sense ,so once you decide to go down that particular route , apart from ( hopefully ) closing the thread with the resolution, this forum becomes something of a dead end .

Pity BT Exec Team were not straight-forward and honest with me about that then!

I have been forced on here because of BT incompetence. 

I am glad that you admit that my beign 70 days without service is not "good service", but some of your other comment read like read to me like Pr for BT!  I do not have to hand the figures that you claim to have regarding percentages of Customer left without service when switching to FTTP.  Perhaps it is a minor matter to you, "an exception" as a sharholder, but to me as a Service User - who has no service - it is a BIG DEAL!

As I’m genuinely trying to be helpful, if it is the case that you would be happy enough with any phone number provided via DV ( although ideally you would prefer your original number ) , if it’s not essential, then has that been made clear to BT ? , providing a DV service without a specific number should be easy enough.

I want my original number - I was assured / promised that I coudl keep my original number - that I have had for 25 years.  In fact I was told that was "NO PROBLEM".    HOWEVER, As I have already stated however, BT gave me ANOTHER number - but NEITHER of them have EVER worked.  So that issue is kind of moot.

As far as the BT representative claiming that the number you had would be provided, perhaps they were mistaken, there isn’t enough information to make a judgement, did you move within the same exchange area ( even though FTTP isn’t defined by exchange areas ) , did you use the home mover service , was the cease if your FTTC/ADSL linked to the FTTP provide , perhaps it was possible but the 30 day limit between PSTN to DV migration ( when it is possible ) has been exceeded, as far as those questions ,there isn’t have enough information on which to offer an opinion.

Yes, perhpas BT MISOLD me something they coudl not provide - many complaints about BT mis-selling on Ombudsman site.  Re your other comments in that paragraph - some of them a customer woudl not know - way to technical - or invove BT's Procedures which they like to keep secret in my experience.  

Lastly, given your post is entitled ‘ Does Digital Voice work with FTTP ‘ when there must be hundreds of thousands, if not millions of BT customers on FTTP using DV , what else could it be but a flippant question , a reasonable definition of flippant is , ‘not serious , in an attempt to be funny or to appear clever’ .

Perhpas there was an element of sarcasm born of frustration in my original question - but it is a genuine question.  I am not an expert - but as I said - been forced to get to know more than I wanted to - about all this in order to try to find a solution - because the "experts" can't!   During my research I have read that some other countries who convert to fibre also RETAIN copper wire because FTTP / DV + vital health and anti theft alarms etc  DO NOT WORK - and that copper wire - or SOGEA? and FTTC or Copper Wire are still needed.  I do not have ll the lins to present to you - nor the time or inclination to spend more time on this - but I am sure if you care to you will find the online articles I read questioning the efficiency of DV and the wisdom of BT for embarkign on it without retaining copper. 

I dread coming on forums like this because of the smart alex who seem to thrive on making those askng for help feel small.  Some BT staff I have encountered also seem like that.

You do to - calling me - or at least my question - "flippant" - that reveals an underlying assumption that some people seem to have, which is that people like me should on here should  know as much as the "experts", telecommunications enthusiasts and/or Professionals on here - know what the acronyms mean, understand the technical stuff and love it all as much as they do. ie act "superior", a reasonable defintion of which is "having or showing an overly high opinion of oneself; conceited".

Keep your "genuine help" to yourself, please iniltous.  It does not help me! 

(Thanks to the lay people and experts on here who have actually suggested possible solutions - the ONT Serial Number Admin error / address mix up is still a possiblity I think - but BT wil not go further with that).

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

I have no idea whether or not I moved "Exchange" or not - or what exactly an "exchange" even is in telephoney terms.

BUT I did  NOT change dialing code - in the same town.

Re thumbs ups - I do give them for helpful answers 👍 😀

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

As an example, an area I’m reasonably familiar with , Darlington STD code is 01325 , there are various ‘villages’ around Darlington also with 01325 as the STD code ,  two are Croft exchange , 01325 72 **** , and Dinsdale exchange, 01325 33**** , if someone moved the very short distance from Croft to Dinsdale , they may think they can take their Croft number with them ( because they are both 01325 areas ) but they would be wrong , they are separate exchange number ranges .

Message 16 of 21

Does this help anyone to help me?

Broadband Availability Checker.jpg

UPDATE - I have made complaints to both BT (Executive Office) and to Ombudsman.

BUT - WARNING! - Seems to be a BT "Procedure / Policy ? Punishment that if you do this, then you get no more technical help (eg a BT Phone Tech just cut me off after reading  the notes on my case. 

Another hung up when I asked if there was anyway of finding out my Registered BTOpenReach ONT Serial Number via my hub management page.

FYI - I have a sticker on my BTOpenReach Modem on my wall - but need to compare it to the one BT have Registered and they will not do this - or tell me the one they have registered!

Does this screen shot tell anyone anything useful they coudl lpass on to me?

Does anyone know how or where I could find out the ONT number BT have registered to my account - please note I already know the one on the sticker on the front of my home wall socket / modem - although I wonder if is wrong?  

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

There is no useful information on the screenshot.

Unfortunately the ONT doesn't have a user accessible interface so there is no way of interrogating it to obtain its serial number, you have to rely on the label.

Message 18 of 21

@Customer66 

You are not being punished because you have contacted ELC and Ombudsman just staff do not interfere/get involved in an ongoing investigation by ELC -  basically hands off

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

imjolly

tomato / tomato?

semantics?

to me - the Customer - who is receiving no technical help - and has been without a landing for about 75 days now - it is effectively a punishment

Message 20 of 21

Like the late Queen Elizabeth II at Paul Burrell's Trial - I have suddenly remembered sometime very pertinant ....

Way back at the beinning of all this, in Dec 2023, during my 1st phone call with BT regarding my Home Move, I asked if I could keep my Phone Number (had had it for 20+ years) and he told me "Yes,  no problem.  It's the same EXCHANGE!"  (or "in the same exchange").

So assuming he was correct, then that can't be the issue either ...

unless ... If BT discovered later that it is not the same exchange - and then decided to pretend not to know what the issue is that is causing me to have no Digital Voice/ Landline  for 3 months just to cover than initial error?

Surely not.

So that rules that possibly cause of fault out also.

0 Ratings