cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Extension wiring problem

Go to solution

He's already said a phone works in the master socket...

I see now.

If it was a different phone, then it may be that her phone is faulty.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for sharing the video. In my mother-in-law's case, the extension is not wired into the back of the faceplate, but terminates in a small square plug which is inserted into a small gizmo with a flat plug which in turn is inserted into the faceplate (so when the extension is in place there is no socket for a phone, but that's not a problem).

There is definitely a good signal here, but not at the other end of the extension. Since I have neither skills nor testing tools, I guess I'm going to have to get an engineer in. Thanks everyone!

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

Ah I see, ye olde telephone extension kit! Then I expect it should indeed be the blue/whites that are connected to 2 & 5 in the extension socket. Easy enough to try as you'll do no harm or a complete replacement kit (with instructions!) would be less than a tenner.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

You hopefully realise that extension sockets and wiring are not Openreach or BT ( presumably it’s BT that are the service provider )  responsibility, so calling OR out( via BT ) could result in charges for the visit.

FWIW , often , if extension wiring has been run under door thresholds, rather than surface wiring on skirting etc, then the foot traffic over time damages the cable resulting in it  breaking…as far a the wiring it ( obviously) doesn’t matter what colour wires used between the main and extension sockets are used as long as it’s the same at both ends 

Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

If an openreach engineer does come out (doubt it as line woukd test OK) They would only test up to the main socket, they would not work on any sockets after the main one. You would also get a bill due to no fault on line, customers own wiring. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks again for all the advice. In the end I decided to fix it the hard way by lifting the carpets and replacing the wiring (wiring behind the faceplate of the master socket). This did the trick.