cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Internal phone lines not working

Hi, 

I was wondering if this is usual, when I moved into my home, an openreach person came to my house while we were having building work done and fitted an Openreach MK3 box and left without saying anything to us. I'm assuming that this is the Master Box.

Afterwards we realised that our other phone lines boxes in the house don't work in anyway, tried with the filter- no phone or internet works so had to drill a hole in my wall to get a long cable to the computer.

Does anyone know if this is an easy fix. I wish I had a way to mention it back then but it wasn't a priority as much at the time as had a newborn, trying to sort out building work to get heat to the house and everything was mega stressful.

We have a Openreach Repair team coming to evaluate a loose outside cable thats came away from the outside wall and the service cable is looser than everyone elses on the street.

Do you think that this is something I should mention to them as they were working fine before the guy fitted the box previously.

Just hoping this is an easy fix as would like to have phone upstairs as I'm disabled.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Internal phone lines not working

@KellyD 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Unfortunately extension wiring is the responsibility of the customer, and Openreach would not be able to help with this.

You may be able to reconnect them yourself.

This document shows where the wiring needs to connect to, on the new master socket.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@KellyD 

I am assuming that the master socket works, as if this is a new provision, then you would only get Internet on that socket, as all new phone connections are made via the socket on the back of  the BT Home Hub, assuming you have broadband from BT, and requested a phone service as well.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

If it is a filtered master socket (i.e it has a phone socket and broadband socket) the extension sockets won't have broadband access without rewiring of the master socket either.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thanks, I can't find a way to re wire the master socket, from what I gather from what I can see is that my extensions were connected to there previously but have been disconnected when the guy fit this chunky box
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the document but looking at mine and the pictures on there, its completely different, I can't see anywhere in mine to actually connect the extra wires
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

We have both phone and internet on that box, none of my other extentions work since they fitted the new box a while ago. Seems they have cut them off when they fitted the box
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

I'm not bothered much by the broadband aspect of it just the phone line as my mobile often is misplaced and battery goes quickly that I need a phoneline upstairs due to vulnerabilities.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

First of all, does your phone work in the master socket. If it does, you need to connect the blue and blue/white wires in the cable going to the extensions to terminals 2&5 of the master socket.

If it doesn't, it means you have Digital Voice which is accessed via green socket at the rear of the BT hub.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

So yeah, phone line works at that socket, it has cables in those numbers already in newer colours which I have no clue about.

All my extensions are older colours, can more than one set of wires be shoved into those numbers.

0 Ratings