cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

My BT landline down for days.. Chester. Unable to get a reason from BT.

I live in Chester, Cheshire. My land line went dead on 28th March. I raised the issue with BT and was assured it would be back by 4th April. People on a local social network were also raising problems, and especially the fact that you COULD solve the problem yourself by plugging phone into your router. I couldn't do that. I have a very old HOME HUB 3 with no phone slot. I raised the issue with BT again, as by now it seems clear the exchange has gone to VoIP. I was told this wasn't the case. Then came a "hard sell" for the new system, as I'm no longer in contract with BT! Yesterday I raised the issue again. This time I was really talked down to online by a "manager" who denied that BT have probably shut down my service - and again came a hard sell to enter into a 24 month contract. I said NO. Today my own investigations show that the exchange I'm linked to has a Y against WLR. That means there is only digital (VoIP) coming from there now. Not only have I been lied to, but also treated with contempt. There IS a solution, which is that BT should send me either an adapter, or a Smart Hub 2. I don't classify myself as "vulnerable" but I am 72 and their records should show that. At no point did I get asked if I used any of the alarm systems some of my age group use. Negligent.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: My BT landline down for days.. Chester. Unable to get a reason from BT.

Hi @Liz15 and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with us recently. I'd like the chance to look into this and put things right for you. Please check your inbox for my message and drop me over the details.

Cheers

David

Message 3 of 18

Just out of curiosity, if you log onto MyBT > Your Products, is there a section there for Digital Voice?

But please reply to @DavidM's message as that's your best chance of a prompt resolution.

Message 4 of 18

Thanks. Will look under products. Will respond to David 1st.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Just to check. Responding directly from my email address to BT Community message aok?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

You should have a message showing under the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

rbz5416_0-1712163306583.png

Reply using that.

Message 7 of 18

Thanks for that tip. I ijust tried it for my different area where we have had no landline since 15 March and in my case it is NOT showing digital voice. Service status also says as of today

Landline - Current Service Issue

We're sorry about the problem - we're working on fixing it.

Reported:

Fri 15/03/2024 at 11:42

Estimated fix time:

Fri 12/04/2024 at 17:26

Message 8 of 18

@Jane2018  Also not showing Digital Voice. Current Status shows Time for the issue being resolved keeps getting further away!  

Estimated fix time:

Fri 12/04/2024 at 16:00

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

@Liz15 

That would suggest to me that the social media posts were possibly well intentioned but misinformed about a move to DV. Although never say never, it would be highly unlikely for a mass migration to take place with no comms or supply of the necessary hardware.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

All areas have DV for new BT customers that require a phone service , so in that sense every ‘area ’ has DV ( it’s not delivered from the exchange) , and customers recontracting may be able to individually move from PSTN to DV ( that’s what I did when I changed my broadband contract ) but it’s not to be confused with a BT instigated migration where BT contact the customer and state that the migration to DV is imminent, a prerequisite for DV is a SH2 , so  if someone is told by BT that they are to be migration to DV and they don’t have a SH2 they are sent one .

If someone had a SH2 , but were not on DV , and the PSTN phone service developed a fault , it’s nonsense to suggest that by simply plugging the phone into the SH2 the migration to DV will miraculously take place , it may be possible to call BT and ask for a migration to get around the PSTN failure  , but that will probably require a new minimum term so may not be a good solution for some , for those it’s a case of waiting for whatever the problem is to be fixed.

If broadband is working and the PSTN phone isn’t , and it’s a problem affecting many customers, it suggests an E side cable problem , that’s the major cables from the exchange to the cabinet , the FTTC broadband service would be unaffected by this