cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 1

Not receiving calls to BT DV after transfer from BT landline = ‘incorrect prefix problem': SOLVED

Just like nemu on ‎27-12-2023, convert99 on 21-01-2023, and many others on this forum, I have had problems since our old copper BT account landline number was (eventually) transferred/“ported” to our DV / SH2 with ONT fibre connection.

I have the Essential BT DV phone synced to the hub, and a DECT phone connected to the hub phone port - they all work.
FastFibre broadband works fine. (copper cable line no longer used for phone or broadband)
I can make calls out using either new DV or older DECT phones.
Call divert/Call Protect/Call Waiting/International call blocking, etc etc are all off (confirmed by BT)
Calls from BT and from EE SIM mobile are received OK
BUT
Calls from other mobile (eg Plusnet) or BT (non-digital) landline callers do not get through (and do not ring) - the callers either get ’Number not recognised’ or the call ends immediately (without connecting) and gives them 3 beeps…
It makes no difference if I unplug the DECT phone, or reboot the Smart Hub 2, or resync the DV phone.

I called BT 0330 1234 150-1-2(tech)-9 (check fault) from my mobile on BT WiFi calling (no mob signal at home) and spoke to Simon in Accrington and then to Anna in Falkirk, who have been thorough and helpful running their checks, and then tell me there is no problem on the line or the hub, and could not offer a solution…

I then found this BT Forum, highlighting so many DV connection problems (!), and phoned BT today, explaining the problem to Kelechi in Doncaster, and that most of the Forum solutions seemed to be related to the landline number being transferred to DV with an ‘incorrect prefix’ - whatever that means!
His system did not seem to know about this (even though it has clearly been a problem for many customers for over a year), and after escalating to and discussing with some higher team, they suggested passing it over to Openreach… (aaaaaaaaargh !)
So I explained that this had been reported as NOT being the problem, as Openreach aren’t responsible for telephony problems if the fast fibre broadband is working fine.
He passes my message up, and then they seem to get an idea of how to fix it within the next 4 hours (!) and he will call back to check.
Well, guess what, it worked !!!
Now, finally, family and friends who previously could not get through to our ‘landline’ (now DV line) are finally able to connect and get through !!!

PROBLEM SOLVED

So, if you are having this problem, call BT 0330 1234 150-1-2(tech)-9 (check fault), and politely explain and ask your ‘guide’ to escalate your problem to whichever other team or whoever it is that can fix what is likely to be an ‘incorrect prefix’ problem (but not Openreach !).

Good luck !

And PLEASE, BT, get this problem more prominently visible to your ‘guides’, MUCH HIGHER in their problem-solving flowcharts on your system, so they can ‘guide’ appropriately, NOT to Openreach, but to whoever it is that seems to know how to fix it immediately.

It really should not need us, the long-suffering BT customers, to have to discover on your own Forum how to solve the problem and then guide your own ‘guides’ (who are always trying so hard to be helpful)…