cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Porting my domestic landline number to a virtual landline

Go to solution

Please can anyone advise who/what number/which department, etc,  I should contact to arrange to keep my domestic landline number when transferring/porting to a virtual landline.

I am paying at least £30 each month for a landline mainly for my elderly dad to call me which I can drastically reduce by transferring to a virtual landline service. However there are also friends and relatives I have lost touch with that don't know my mobile number so I need to keep my landline number.

The virtual porting companies advise first confirming that BT will transfer my number.  I did try calling but the responders either didn't understand my query or didn't know where to transfer me. 

If possible I would like to put this request in writing (email ideally) in case anything goes wrong afterwards. Thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Porting my domestic landline number to a virtual landline

Go to solution

if the line is only for calls does your father qualify for BT essential plan

BT Home Essentials: broadband for low-income households (choose.co.uk)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

My landline is only for calls as I have mobile WiFi broadband; this is one of the reasons as well as cost why I would prefer a virtual landline.

In reply to your query, yes my father is on a Home Essentials package, which is very reasonably priced . FYI he has the new digital handsets which I wish we had not ordered as they need a battery backup to work in a power cut, the voicemail cut in far too soon for him to get to the phone and then required a call to BT to disable, and frequently when I call him I get a engaged tone even thoough he is not using the phone.

Thanks for your response.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If you want to transfer your phone number to another company, regardless of it being a ‘traditional’ telecommunications company’s or a VoIP provider  ( presumably what you are calling a virtual provider)   , it’s that company ( the gaining provider ) that arranges it, something to have in mind , if the phone number in question ( presumably currently with BT ) has a broadband service associated with it, then the broadband will cease when the phone number is transferred ( ported ) to the new provider .

If you are being told by the new company to confirm BT will port the number , then try another company as this is basic info that they should know ….it’s not upto BT , it’s the instruction from the VoIP provider that starts the process , generally BT , if the correct process is undertaken by the gaining provider , simply port the number when requested to do so.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your response.

I only have my landline with BT and my broadband doesn't use my landline.

Regarding my query, I was just following the advice at https://www.virtuallandline.co.uk/services/porting

"You should contact your existing landline provider before signing up to our service and confirm their terms and conditions on porting."

Since I had seen similar advice when I looked at these virtual services previously - hence the calls to BT as noted above that went unresolved - I hadn't checked any other providers at the time when I raised this query.

However I have just looked at Vonage and they do mention a Letter of Authority they provide and process,  so now I understand what you mean and what to look for.

Thanks again for your advice.

0 Ratings