cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Problem with answer phone on BT Premium Phone

I recently purchased the BT Premium phone with an additional handset. All set up and working ok except for the answer machine. When someone leaves a message and then hangs up, the answer machine continues to record and the only way I've found to stop it is by removing the power supply! Anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it?

Many thanks

Rob

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problem with answer phone on BT Premium Phone

@rj68 

This is usually a problem with other phone service providers and not BT Retail, where the exchange equipment does not disconnect the call when the calling number hangs up. (first party disconnect). This should result in NU (Number Unobtainable)  tone being received by the answerphone, which causes it to disconnect.

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I have my landline and broadband with NowTV and never had this problem with my previous BT phone so thought it must be the new Premium BT phone????

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@rj68 wrote:

I have my landline and broadband with NowTV and never had this problem with my previous BT phone so thought it must be the new Premium BT phone????

They are part of Sky, and have their own equipment installed in the exchange, so there may be an issue with that. 

When the caller leaves a message, then hangs up, there should be a tone received from the exchange equipment, which the answerphone detects as the end of the call. There may also be a disconnection of the line voltage, to drop the call.

Try calling your phone from a mobile, and see if you hear that tone, and the answerphone disconnecting. If not, then I would have a word with NowTV.  Its certainly the case with my BT Retail line, and the BT4600 phone.

Apart from that, there is nothing I can suggest, apart from contacting the product helpdesk.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I've called my landline with my mobile and on the first occasion it all worked fine, left a message, hung up and the answer machine worked fine. Left it a few minutes and tried again but this time, after leaving the message the answer machine failed to disconnect. Thanks for your help 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

That would indicate a problem with your provider`s exchange equipment, failing to disconnect the incoming connection when the remote end clears down.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks. I'll get on to NowTV. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@rj68 wrote:

Thanks. I'll get on to NowTV. 

It must be an intermittent issue, so it could just be one piece of their equipment, or an issue with the signalling path not passing on the remote clear to the line unit. You may like to try making a number of calls, and see how many fail to disconnect.

I am not sure how their equipment works, as its totally different to the BT Retail exchanges, and I think its actually maintained by a third party.

0 Ratings