cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Restrict incoming calls to certain numbers

hi my elderly mum is getting loads of scam phone calls. I have searched for this but would like an easy way to restrict her incoming calls to certain numbers, family etc. There's only about 6/7 numbers that we need to have incoming, all the rest can go away. 

thanks in advance

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Restrict incoming calls to certain numbers

@marshanite 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

One solution is a call blocking phone like the BT4600.

You can create a list of numbers which she want to receive call from, by adding them to the phone`s internal directory. All other calls can be blocked, or forced to announce themselves first.

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/landline-phones/cordless-phones-with-answer-machine/bt460...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

The technology in BT's phones is licensed from a company called TrueCall. If she wants/needs to keep her existing phone(s) then they have a standalone device that does the same job & more, including an option for remote management. But it's more expensive than the phones & a subscription is required after the first year.

Message 4 of 6

thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the BT4600 and it seems the right solution. I looked at putting VIP's on the list and then using do not disturb but read that when DND is set the phone won't ring so probably can't use this. Is this correct

I then read that call Guardian might work. This will send all calls not in the contacts list to the answerphone is this correct? Does call guardian cost anything from BT?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Yes, Call Guardian does the blocking. It's entirely contained within the phone with no extra costs.

The 4600 is only one of a number of phones in the BT range with Call Guardian, so do check the others to make sure you have the best fit for her.

Message 6 of 6

Call Guardian, as implemented on the BT4600, is totally free, and 100% effective on my phone line.

I find it best to use the "announce" option selected, as there is a remote possibility that someone who we know, may still have our number, and can announce themselves first.

Scam callers use automated calling systems that cannot respond, so they simply get blocked.

DND may still allow VIP callers as far as I am aware, but its unlikely you will need to activate that option anyway, as numbers not in the phone directory are going to be blocked anyway.