cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Separate fibre broadband from VoIP

I have BT  fibre broadband and a VoIP phone from BT. Can I  separate the phone number from the  broadband service. Keeping fibre broadband but porting VoIP phone number so it can be directed to a mobile?   I’m trying to do is get rid of physical home phone but retain the number so elderly mother and few others can contact me wherever I happen to be. I know there are various companies who can provide the VoIP phone service for traditional wire phone connections. I just don’t know what is possible with a VoIP BT connection. Anyone know?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Separate fibre broadband from VoIP

Probably easier and cheaper to use a VOIP company, I have a number with Sipgate and divert calls on it. Its PAYG so only charge would be a diverted call. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 3 of 7

I guess Virtuallandline is an option. The company you mention don’t offer free connections now. My question was really about ease of transferring a VoIP number to a third party provider. Sounds like the principle is fine

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You can port your BT number to a VOIP provider but remember it will terminate your existing BT contract which if in contract will incur cancellation fees. You may be able to start a new broadband only contract and negotiate the cancellation fee charges.  Remember you still need to pay for landline which is included in package cost so saving will be up to £5 pm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

If you have BT Digital Voice you can divert call to a mobile number for free.

All about Call Diversion for Digital Voice | BT Help

Instead of having a BT call package just get a Pay as You go package. In some instances, such as my own, this is free although some users have said they pay £5 a month for it.

EDIT: I should have said that the diverted calls are only free if it is to a BT mobile, BT Landlines or BT Digital Voice.

Message 6 of 7

I wondered about call diversion as on BT Digital Voice. However my mobile is not with BT. The details on this service are a bit unclear on BT pages which states “The Call Diversion service is free for Digital Voice customers.” but assume that means provision of service rather than the diversion to a third party which is  unfree. A bit confusing if you ask me.  Pity as this would be simple. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

If the web page was clear it wouldn't be BT! They have a knack of always making things as clear as mud.

0 Ratings