cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Since switching to BT Voice I am not receiving text messages on my landline to authorise payment

Go to solution

@gameinn1 
With something like digital voice it should at the bare MINIMUM allow the exact same functionality as previous but with extra features. Here it's even worse.

Several other useful features are being discontinued with Digital Voice: Call Sign (already gone), Reminder Call, Ring Back When Free, Anonymous Call Reject, Choose to Refuse... BT are being very tight-lipped about this, insisting that very little will change for customers. I suspect that most will not find out they've lost those features until they've been switched over.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Re: Since switching to BT Voice I am not receiving text messages on my landline to authorise payment

Go to solution

@Tim123 

"sending text messages"

"It can't be technically impossible to implement on a VoIP-based system, so axing it must be a commercial decision from BT."

Do you have any relevant experience to back up these assertions - or are you making assumptions?

I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to implement. However my guess would be that it is possible, but not easy to do - but BT have data to show that previous use of the facility, (and possibly the others that you mentioned in your next post), did not make development of them in to Digital Voice commercially viable?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

If inbound texts still work then why is the op not able to receive inbound texts? Unless I'm missing a key difference here.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

@Tim123  Just trying to see how inbound texting (for Bank verifications in this case) works in practice. Following the links it does indeed say that inbound text is supported. But apparently it’s sent / left as a Voicemail. I don’t use it myself but, should anyone ask, how  do I access voicemail? Is it associated with my landline number or my mobile? And how will I know that a voicemail message has been left? Sorry, I’m a bit confused.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

@pddco 

"And how will I know that a voicemail message has been left?"

I think that the fact that you have a Voicemail message is signified by Interrupted Dial Tone when attempting to make a call.

Our phone doesn't have any visual indication of a Voicemail message waiting, so unless we remember to lift the handset and listen regularly, we would be unaware of a message waiting.

We had Voicemail turned off many years ago, and use our own answering machine - specifically because of this.

Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

@Paul608085 
Do you have any relevant experience to back up these assertions - or are you making assumptions?

I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to implement. However my guess would be that it is possible, but not easy to do - but BT have data to show that previous use of the facility, (and possibly the others that you mentioned in your next post), did not make development of them in to Digital Voice commercially viable?

My 'assumption' is based on the fact that BT keep telling us that fibre (Digital Voice) is technically superior to the 'outdated' copper. If such an antiquated system can cope with SMS, surely a super-fast digital one can?

Deaf and hard-of-hearing people use BT Text. Does BT not have a duty to them, regardless of commercial interests?

BT charge an extortionate amount for their calling features on PSTN. They are raking it in, so I doubt those features are commercially unviable.

0 Ratings