cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 37

Re: Using Full Fibre 100 with third-party router and Digital Voice

Go to solution

Absolutely. You can't have BT voice over the ASUS router. I didn't want BT voice so it was good for me..I just got a VoIP service from another supplier which worked out if the box. 

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 37

Go to solution

sadly, for the very same reason (DV via proprietary BT SH2) I am still forced to use BT SH2, as equipment on my network... 

But with no problems, behind it is my Omada network pieces of equipment, starting with TP-Link ER605, which acts as a router, firewall, DHCP, etc, etc. 

SH2 fulfills only DV and partially IPV6, whilst BT implementation of IPV6 is quite specific...

Not really too much trouble, even my VOIP SIP Fanvill HW phone works just fine, and with help of NO-IP, everything I need it's eventually reachable from the outside word, even in theory behind 2 routers...

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 37

Go to solution

Worry not folks, the answer is in this thread -  https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/m-p/228...

38 pages to dig through but several descriptions of how to hobble the SmartHub 2 and use it for nothing more than DV with your own, sexy router behind it, doing whatever stuff you want that the SH2 can't.

Also, see my post made there today.  If you already have copper to the premises just phone BT and tell them you don't want DV.  They can now defer it for you without any of the old hassle.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 37

Go to solution

What's the point of Digital Voice anyway?? , since BT are being such a pain re this, so ...

Get (if you don't already have) a smartphone with WiFi Calling and a call provider that supports it (I think BT Mobile may do - perversely shooting themselves in the foot). Then you can make calls over WiFi when at home (or in range of a safe free WiFi) via your smartphone, and by the Mobile network otherwise. I've not used it (my old phone needs replacing!), but it mighty even be a seamless transfer between WiFi and Mobile (4G/5G/etc)?

Search "WiFi calling" for more info.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 37

Go to solution

I guess you are assuming that calls made via WiFi calling are free, they aren't, normal mobile call charges apply.

The purpose of WiFi calling is to facilitate the ability to make and receive mobile calls when there is a lack of normal mobile signal.

Message 36 of 37

Go to solution

What’s the point of DV anyway ?
There is no compulsion to take a phone service with BT broadband, so although in your case , it may be pointless as you can make calls using WiFi calling on your mobile , you presumably accept it isn’t pointless for those that choose to take a BT phone service with their BT broadband….many want to keep their landline number because it’s likely it’s a phone number they have had for many years , and known to many friends, relatives, organisations that wouldn’t necessarily know that persons mobile number.

I cannot really comprehend those that want to take the optional BT phone service but are incensed by having to use the BT supplied router , do people complain that they have to use a Sky set top box to watch Sky TV or simply accept it’s a condition of using the Sky TV service, it’s very simple , if you don’t want to be compelled to use the SH2 but do want a telephone service using broadband, sign up with a traditional VoIP supplier that will be less secure , but will be available via the router the consumer has decided to use, no one is compelled to use BT for telephony 

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 37

Go to solution

@iniltouswrote:

I cannot really comprehend those that want to take the optional BT phone service but are incensed by having to use the BT supplied router , do people complain that they have to use a Sky set top box to watch Sky TV or simply accept it’s a condition of using the Sky TV service, it’s very simple , if you don’t want to be compelled to use the SH2 but do want a telephone service using broadband, sign up with a traditional VoIP supplier that will be less secure , but will be available via the router the consumer has decided to use, no one is compelled to use BT for telephony 

Well, you're welcome to your opinion.  From my own perspective it's not so simple:

• I live out in the sticks where only one mobile provider has a mast near enough to make contact inside my home, which lies in a dip.  When the power goes off (as it does several times every winter) that mast gets overloaded with calls almost instantly.
  • I'm fortunate enough to live in a property large enough to need good, old fashioned  wired extensions for telephones. DECT doesn't work from one end to the other.  Ditto for my WiFi which uses Mesh connections - something the BT SH2 can't deal with but my Asus can handle with aplomb.
  • Many contacts, some from outside the country have known and used our land line number for years and I see no reason to change them over.   You will be aware that in some countries land line calls to UK mobiles can be a bit pricey.  Don't even get me started on mobile to mobile.
  • In my study/home office I have the option to use a voice recorder on my land line.  I want to keep it.  Apple and Android have made this increasingly difficult on mobiles, by the way.
  • Sadly, being out in the sticks, my options for FTTP for internet or indeed for VoIP, are Openreach or Openreach or Openreach.   Virgin will be here sometime never, ditto for the others.  This leaves me with the option of BT or very little else.  The alternative broadband+VoIP providers I can find using sites like ISPreview.co.uk  number less than how many kids the Pope has.
  • Therefore, I'm pretty much stuck with BT for voice, which I want, need, BT are obliged to provide and I'm just about stuck with taking.

Here's the puzzle for me.  I have two cores of fibre coming into my property, only one of which has an ONT on it.  If BT/Openreach want to terminate my copper line, why can't they stick on a second ONT for DV?  There's no increase in the amount of box or exchange equipment required, just a change of type.

0 Ratings