cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 72

Re: What happens to analogue phone line when switching to Digital Voice?

They are exactly the same on the main BT packages, yes.

But you said previously Digital Voice is not free when I expressed my satisfaction in my previous post.

I'm informing you that it is free for Social Tariff (Home Essential) packages, those that qualify for Pension Credit, Universal Credit, JSA, ESA and Income Support get DV included for free with their broadband for £15-£20 a month. It is even mentioned in the website, but I'm not allowed to post links, you can google it for yourself to find out.

If I wasn't informed I wouldn't have been making these phone calls and just unnecessarily lose money.

Hence, why I posted my product description and account usage cost, since you are not aware of that. And of-course it's informative for other people reading this thread here on the forum.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 32 of 72

Most people aren't aware of any analogue switch off of phone lines. I wasn't aware of any specific month or date given for the switch off, only that it was going to happen in 2025.

I only learnt about that from reading my computer magazine. If I didn't read computer magazines I wouldn't have been any the wiser of any compulsory phone line switch off.

There has been nothing on the telly about it, no adverts saying all our phone lines will be switched off by 2025 and that we will all have to have routers to make phone calls.

Most people in the UK aren't aware of this going to happen. 

If we are making phone calls over the internet, then does one not need a broadband connection? Just reminding you that broadband is only available on compatible phone lines, and will phone lines need to be changed? Again, I've heard nothing.

If I wasn't an avid computer magazine reader or joined the BT Community I wouldn't have known anything about this at all. BT needs to advertise it better.

There obviously needs to be more information from BT to inform the general public that phone lines are going to be switched off? That's my opinion anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 72

Dear Buzby44 Yes, the phone line gets disconnected. Even on BT FTTC when you first join, (if you haven't already) the telephone line will not work! The Digital Voice service has already been migrated.

Meaning that plugging a telephone line into the Master Socket doesn't have any dial tone, it's disconnected with BT broadband for now at least.

Digital Voice is currently an option with BT/Plusnet, which during checkout it will tell you if you want to remain on Analogue or switch to Digital Voice. If you switch to DV during BT Broadband migration even on FTTC then analogue will be disconnected as part of the upgrade.

By 2025 analogue will simply be universally turned off for all ISPs on the Openreach network irrespective of whether an exchange got upgraded to Fibre to the Premises.

And yes, the phone service does not work if your broadband connection goes down. I had this experience last month where my internet connection was down for 18 hours. Of-course phone doesn't work as the phone is reliant on broadband. The same goes for a power failure. You need an additional mobile phone handset for backup in case service goes down.

This service will be a problem for the elderly or for those that don't have a stable internet connection. Full Fibre (FTTP) will certainly resolve broadband stability issues as the connection will be 100% more reliable as there's no copper.

The Digital Voice phone handset is wireless and doesn't need to be connected to the router with wire. You just have to press WPS button on router to register it once and then you are set.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 34 of 72

o.k thank you for the information. I don't think many people will be happy about having their faithful telephones lines changed for those that didn't ask for Digital Voice. Only for the phone to be connected to a router/hub which only works on the mains electric. To me it's a step backward for those that haven't asked for Digital Voice.

I'm quite happy with my analogue phone line and phone set up and won't be forced to change. If attempts are made to change my phone line I will be writing to my MP.

Thank you.

😀

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 72

@Anonymouswrote:

I'm quite happy with my analogue phone line and phone set up and won't be forced to change. If attempts are made to change my phone line I will be writing to my MP.

LOL, if you've got time to waste doing that go ahead but it's not going to change anything at all

Message 36 of 72

@BLaZiNgSPEED what was the cause of your broadband outage? I would wager it was due to a line fault as virtually all broadband faults are. In which case, an analogue phone wouldn't have worked either.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 72

@Anonymouswrote:

😀

My MP will be more interested in his bee-keeping hobby than the switch to digital.
From Which:

Why are traditional phone services being taken away? 

The phone network that has existed since the Victorian era is coming to the end of its life. While its physical infrastructure remains similar to when it was installed, our communication needs have changed immensely. Alongside this, broadband connections rely increasingly on fibre optic networks. These not only offer faster speeds than copper but are also more reliable, more resilient and easier to maintain.

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 72

@Anonymouswrote:

There obviously needs to be more information from BT to inform the general public that phone lines are going to be switched off? That's my opinion anyway.

It's Openreach who are switching off support for the old PSTN network, as Openreach are not a public facing company, they have informed their customers, all 600+ CPs (Communication Providers) who get service from them and an announcement was made to the industry in 2017, this was so alarm companies for example can support their product once PSTN goes.

It's then down to each CP to inform their customers, BT have been doing this for a while now, others providers are also starting their rollout with their own version of Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 72

@Anonymouswrote:

The change isn't optional, once the PSTN goes off, your options are Digital Voice or nothing, Openreach are not going to keep pumping money into an old redundant network because a handful of customers don't want to change.

It's also not new technology, most of Europe have a telephone network provided digitally.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 40 of 72

If Digital Voice needs a broadband connection to work, and I'm getting the impression it does, then I'm just reminding BT that broadband is only available on compatible phone lines, and our phones lines will need to be changed, in some cases. 

So, it won't just be a case of handing out routers, some of our phone lines will need to be changed.

I think it's been overlooked. 😀

0 Ratings