cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Another Ping and Packet loss question

Hi. 

We have the Halo 3 package, and I am constantly getting harangued by my son because of high ping values and packet loss which makes his gaming unplayable. We only signed up to BT halo so we didn't have to worry! 

His xbox is connected via ethernet to the box, everything else is WiFi only. He has been doing research, apparently (in his room, on his own??) it happens worst when Netflix or Prime is being streamed elsewhere in the house via WiFi. 

Can anyone suggest a solution, as we are paying a lot of money for this fibre connection? 

Kind regards,

Rich 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Another Ping and Packet loss question

Netflix etc cause packet loss because they utilise as much bandwidth as possible to buffer as far ahead as it can. This can cause packet loss when gaming especially if you're getting close to your bandwidth limit. 

Personally, we're on G-Fast with 130mbps and have no issues with packet loss when gaming and streaming 4K video.

How fast is your connection? And, are you actually suffering noticeable packet loss or is your son just getting his butt wupped online and looking for an excuse? 😆

Message 3 of 8

He's taken videos showing the ping and packet loss, but I'm sure an **bleep** whupping is in there somewhere! 

53mb download, 9.5mb upload.

To be brutally honest, I'm **bleep** with technology. 

I'll have a look at Gfast. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If you're only getting 53M, G.fast won't be available to you.

Halo is just a benefits add-on, not a technology.

Message 5 of 8

@Richd1975

You also have to remember that nearly all connections are not A to B.  They usually travel through several intermediary routers to get to you.  Any delay or packet loss is not necessarily at your end.  I suggest your tech savvy son looks up the pathping command an tries running that analysis.

Message 6 of 8

Actually, I'll correct that.  BT appear to be blocking pathping.  Tracert still works but gives less information on each hop.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Richd1975wrote:

He's taken videos showing the ping and packet loss, but I'm sure an **bleep** whupping is in there somewhere! 

53mb download, 9.5mb upload.

To be brutally honest, I'm **bleep** with technology. 

I'll have a look at Gfast. 

53 is a bit slow if you're streaming 4k video, BT/Youview recommend 44 Mb/s just for that which (in theory at least) only leave 9 for your son's gaming.

Ref: https://support.youview.com/youview-box/about-youview/broadband-speed-requirements/

Message 8 of 8

54 Mbps is going to get eaten up by 4K streaming pretty quickly. This is most likely the reason for the packet loss 

0 Ratings