cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Discs - Black, do they provide an ethernet connection

Go to solution

Hi,

I have a PC in the back room i need to set up tonight, i was hoping it would work wired from the BT disc in the room? is that so? or do i need to buy a wireless card

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Discs - Black, do they provide an ethernet connection

Go to solution
You can wire the PC to the disc as long as the disk is wirelessly connecting back to the hub.
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Perfect, thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Just wanted to ask to confirm whether this worked fine? I'm in a similar situation as my PC doesn't have a wireless card too

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@wkirkman 

Do you know if connecting a PC like this can also be shared by using an ethernet switch?

ie one port of switch to disc, and the other ports to wired ethernet devices, such as an old laptop with a faulty wireless card.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Paul608085 Yes. In essence, all devices connected to that switch can then contact the SH2 and therefore the rest of the network. That's just down to how IP/Ethernet works. All the disk is doing is creating the same as a cabled link back to the SH2 - only, its Wire-less instead of Wire-d.

With messing around with it for my own needs I have only come up against one thing that will not work when doing this.

If you have two IP Address ranges, so two separate networks, (lets say 172.16.0.x and 192.168.0.x) you can run both of these networks through the same network switch, and as long as there are other devices on the same network range connected, they will talk to each other. However, if you connect one of these Complete Wi-fi disks to a network switch that is using any IP Address range 'other than that of the SH2' it will turn red and disconnect itself. If the SH2 is giving out 192.168.0.x and you try to connect from 172.16.0.1 through the switch that has the disc connected to 172.16.0.2? It disconnects itself. Use another Wireless repeater and this won't happen (I used a TP-Link one to get over the issue).

But, if you are just using the one single network range given out by your SH2 (which most people will be doing) then that's all good.

0 Ratings