cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Smart Hub Alexa and Alarm disconnecting

Hi,

I am having issues with my house alarm and smart plugs/light bulbs disconnecting from WiFi when I am away from home for over. 24hrs. The only way I have found at the moment to resolve is to to restart hub when I return home. As you can image this is a little frustrating as I can’t access home alarm app when away from home. Is there a power saving mode that maybe kicking in, or is this a default when the router doesn’t have any ipads, laptops connecting to it during a regular day when we are at home? 
any advice to resolve appreciated.

kind Regards

simon

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smart Hub Alexa and Alarm disconnecting

@Xssc32X 

You should be able to restart the home hub using the BT app.

Can I reboot my BT router remotely?

The My BT app is the quickest and easiest way to get help when you need it, and you can manually update the router from your smartphone. The app also lets you restart your BT Hub remotely and track any faults you have raised.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi, thanks for getting back. this is how I restart the hub when I return home. Does this suggest I can access my hub via the app when I’m over 100 miles away for example and restart hub? Also ideally was after a more long term fix solution if possible ? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

As far as I am aware, the remote reset is initiated via the BT management system, so it should not matter where you are connected from.

The way to prove this would be to turn off wireless access on your mobile, and then see if you can reset the home hub when you are connected to mobile data.

The only other option might to be to fit a mains time switch to switch the power off to the home hub for a minute, every 24 hours.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yes you are right I can access can restart hub via app whilst on mobile network, which is helpful. However this isn’t a permanent fix and does reveal the root cause. Possible issue with router or hidden power saving mode possibly?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Is there any particular time at which the problem occurs, for example 21:00 in the evening, or when the boiler starts, or when a train passes? What does the router log show at the time the problem appears?

You say it happens when you are away, is anything different then, for example alarm set when normally it is not, several lights set to come on automatically at a fixed time?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Nothing out of the ordinary when away from home. Just set Alexa to turn on and off lights. Seems unusual, is there a standby mode I can adjust?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

No, there is no standby or power saving mode on the hub.

0 Ratings