cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Bt complete wifi disc query

Hi everyone,

Confused on something and hope you can help.We have fibre to the property.Speeds are good when the Smarthub 2 behaves,average 140-150 speeds up and downstairs.WiFi coverage however in one room,sons bedroom was a bit patchy so received a black complete Wifi disc to help.Setup was fine and my son decided to use Ethernet connection from the disc to his PlayStation 4 for reliability and best speeds.

However the reverse has happened,speeds downstairs are still the same but upstairs they are around 70 and so is the PlayStation despite being wired.

I know what you’re going to say,it’s the PlayStation, but why, it’s only another device connected to the network,this is what I don’t understand.

On the router homepage the disc is connected to the 5ghz band.

Any help would be appreciated to shut my son up😀

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Bt complete wifi disc query

Hi @hammerjeff67   There is no point putting the complete wifi disc in a room that has patchy wifi. It needs to be placed half way between the router and the room.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

@VeteranISPUser Thanks for that mate,just thought if it was hardwired to the disc it would maintain the speed.The speed was never compromised upstairs,the WiFi in my sons bedroom occasionally dropped for a while as it’s furthest from the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Connecting the PS5 to the disc by cable will only improve the connectivity between those two devices, it will do nothing to boost the connection between the hub and the disc.

Is the light on the disk blue? if not then you need to move the disc closer to the hub until it is.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Yes it’s blue,solid blue since connecting a week ago.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Ok, assuming that the Wi-Fi link between the hub and the disc is good (the solid blue light) try:-

Change DNS on your PS5
This is known to help some people out and just requires tweaking the settings of your PS5. It has been reported that changing your DNS settings to use Google's DNS server increases PS5 download speed. If you want to give it a try, follow our steps below:

From the PS5's home menu, go to the "Settings" on the top right (the cog wheel symbol) in between the search icon and your profile icon.
Go to the "Network" option.
From the Network screen, go down to Settings then choose "Set Up Internet Connection".
Select the network connection you're already and press Options, which will give you an option to go to "Advanced Settings".
In Advanced Settings, use the following settings, with the DNS being the key things to note:
IP Address Settings = Automatic
DHCP Host Name = Don't Specify
DNS Settings = Manual
Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4
Proxy Server: Don't Use
MTU Settings: Automatic

With these settings changed, turn off your PS5 and then turn it on again. Hopefully you'll notice improved PS5 download speeds.

Reference: How to increase PS5 download speed and get faster PSN downloads | VG247

Message 7 of 14

Re: Bt complete wifi black disc query Dual Band Support

I am using BT Black discs and I notice the Hub Manager states that the discs are NOT Dual Band. I am totally confused as I have a disc in use supporting 2 devices at 2.4 GHz and 2 devices at 5 GHz, so it clearly does support dual band.

It would very convenient if it supported 5 GHz only without turning off 2.4ghz on the Hub.

How can this be ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

The disc is probably out of range of the 5GHz carrier, try moving it closer to the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

@Les-Gibson @Thanks for your reply.

My query is why does the Hub manager say Discs are not dual band when it clearly is as the devices I outlined are all currently connected simultaneously.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

The discs are dual band but, if I recall correctly,  the hub manager only reports the speed at which the hub is connected to the disc, not the speed at which the devices are connected to the disc.

Therefore if the disc is beyond the range of the 5GHz carrier then the hub manager will report "Connection Type 2.4 GHz"

0 Ratings