cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

CCTV connecting to Complete wi-fi disc.

I have a remote Reolink Security CCTV that connects to my wi-fi network.   Physically, the CCTV camera is closest to a wi-fi disc but I have noticed (maybe following a short power outage) that the CCTV camera has re-connected to the hub (which is physically farther away from the CCTV camera).  Consequently, the connection has gone from being Good (connected to the disc) to Weak (connected to the hub).

I'm not sure if this is a BT wifi issue or a Reolink CCTV issue, but is there any way of 'forcing' the CCTV camera to re-connect to the disc?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: CCTV connecting to Complete wi-fi disc.

Assuming your camera operates on 2.4Ghz, the only way to force it to connect to the disc is to turn off the 2.4Ghz WiFi on the hub. Unfortunately, not a solution if you have other 2.4Ghz only devices that are closer to the hub.

Message 3 of 4

@licquorice 

I've just done a test with our router & switched off 2.4 GHz (5 GHz is always switched off) and all our devices work normally, but having said that there are 6 WiFi mesh nodes & every device is nearer to a node than to the router.

I'll leave all WiFi switched off at the router as nothing needs to connect to it directly.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I'm a little surprised!  I've a Reolink Argus 3 mounted on the garage, which usually connects to the mesh node I've set up for the heating controllers - its closer than the router.  When it has connected to the router, it'll usually have wandered back to the mesh node by the following day.  If it's working, then personally I'd tend to leave it alone.

If you really must have it connected to the remote disc, then turn the router off for about 30 seconds.  The camera should gravitate to the disc and stick with it even when you return power to the router!

*FYI some Reolink cameras are dual-band.  Mine is usually connecting via 2.4GHz though, as it's a distance from the house and is the one device that is closer to multiple neighbours than to either the mesh node or the router!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings