cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Can I bridge 3 routers together?

I really want a router with bandwidth control but don’t want to sacrifice on performance by getting an old router so here’s my plan. 

I’m hoping to use my current BT Smart Hub 2 as a modem and turning off the WiFi function, I’m going to connect my primary TP-Link Archer AX55 router via the WAN ports to the Smart Hub 2. To get bandwidth control I’m planning to buy an old TP-Link Archer VR400 V1, I’m going to connect the VR400 to my primary TP-Link Archer AX55. Of course I’m planning to have different WiFi names on the AX55 and the VR400. 

Is it possible to have all these 3 routers connected and working fine? Or would there be an issue?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can I bridge 3 routers together?

No reason why not assuming dhcp is off and I would give each repurposed router as a wireless point a static IP address.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

The SH2 doesn't have a modem mode, it will still be routing and natting. If you are connecting the the 2 extra routers via their WAN ports rather than configuring them as wireless access points, you will be double natting and each extra router needs to be on its own sub-network. Probably best to turn off DHCP on the SH2, give the 2 extra routers a static IP address and gateway 192.168.1.254 and enable DHCP on them for 2 discrete subnets.

Not exactly sure what you mean by not wishing to sacrifice performance.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I want the Smart Hub as a acting modem with wireless off. I want the TP-Link AX55 to be the primary router, the other cheaper £10 router is meant for guests. The AX55 and the cheaper router both have different SSID and password. 

Both routers are connecting to the Smart Hub, I should I turn off DHCP on the 2 routers and keep it on the Smart Hub? I kind of want all traffic to flow through the Smart Hub then to the 2 individual routers connected. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@omgitzmo 

What broadband connection do you have , if it's FTTP then do away with the SmartHub completely and use the TP-Link AX55 connected directly to the ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

FTTC sadly and I have no modem so I have to use Smart Hub 2 with the wireless capability off. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@omgitzmo 

Or get a Huwaei HG612 modem off of ebay for a small amount of money (£10-20 probably) and then use your preferred router. They may be old but they still work well. Don't bother about an unlocked one as if you need it unlocking it's a simple process anyway.

Message 8 of 10

@spile on which router should I turn DHCP off?

BT is going to be an acting modem, TP-Link AX55 as primary router, low-end TP-Link TL-WR841N router for guests.

Both TP-Link are connected to the Smart Hub via ethernet. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Your ONT is the modem.

SH2 is the router

All slave repurposed routers as wireless points have DCHP off and I would give them a static ip.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@spile  The OP has FTTC, not FTTP so doesn't have an ONT, the hub2 is both modem and router. He is also connecting to the WAN ports of the extra devices, not using them as WAPs.

@omgitzmo  If you don't intend to have devices connecting directly to the SH2, configure as per my message3 in this thread.

0 Ratings