cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Cant ping devices across my network

Recently had to replace my smarthub 2 as previous was overheating and stopped the home network.

After installing and setting up the new hub I am able to ping the hub from multiple devices but I cant seem to ping the devices directly between each other.  I found this issue as I wanted to share files across windows file sharing between two machines but windows couldnt see the other machine.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this? I would have thought sharing inside the network was not being blocked. I havent been able to see any other posts about this problem so I suspect its a setup issue on my side.

For information.. My home setup (note the default IP address change)ip address setup.JPG

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cant ping devices across my network

When connecting to a new WiFi network, Windows defaults that to a public network. In this mode sharing is blocked.

Try changing the mode to private

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for pointing this out. I've set one device that was on wifi to private however the other device is wired into the hub.  There is a sharing option in the adapter settings however this seems to be for internet connection sharing should this be set on?

Note: I can ping the hub ok from both devices.  Prior to installing this replacement hub I had no issues pinging devices /sharing files across the network.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

It's Windows. That, I am finding more and more, is just the answer. If Microsoft is involved, that is where your problem is.

I believe that the Network Centre (or whatever they change the name to as they love just changing things) should also have the same Private/Public setting for Ethernet connected, so you just need to look around for that. It's not just a Wi-Fi thing (I think).

Assuming that both devices are receiving DHCP from the BT Smart Hub 2 and are not set with static IP information?

If one of them 'is' set static, then check your IP and Subnet Mask to make sure they are in fact correct with the rest of the network. If for example you have 172.16.0.100 with 255.255.255.0 and 172.16.1.100 with 255.255.255.0 they will not talk, as you need /16 (255.255.0.0) so the network ID would be 172.16.x.x and then the rest can be as you wish… I suspect this is superfluous but thought I would add it in just in case.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

If memory serves, Windows' own firewall blocks ping by default.  It should be acceptable to turn it off to run the test, so long as you remember to turn it back on again afterwards.

0 Ratings