cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Extension from Master Socket

Recently had an extension socket installed running from the master socket which is downstairs. The guy who came (Non BT) said I didn’t have a phone line so he couldn’t get it to work at the time. Since then I have spoken to BT who confirmed I had broadband only account so phone was added. 

However the broadband will still not work upstairs. I have spoken to BT who said the HUB will not work off the extension socket and I will only be able to make calls without an explanation as to why. 

The guy who installed the socket is now on holiday and said he will sort when back now worried he is fobbing me off. Is it possible to run extension from master socket and the broadband to work or not? 

Do I need a filter on both master socket and extension? I will try a phone to see if that works. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Extension from Master Socket

Yes, you can have both voice and broadband at an extension socket.

It depends on what type of master socket you have and how the guy wired it whether both will work or not.

If you have a filtered master socket with one socket for phone and the other for broadband, wiring from terminals 2&5 on the faceplate will result in voice but no broadband at the extension.

You need to wire from the data extension terminals and use a filter at the extension socket.

Are you sure you have been provided with an analogue voice service rather than Digital Voice?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Looking at it my phone line is digital will this be a problem I did explain I was having an extension fitted and required the phone line adding so this would work….

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

If it is Digital Voice, you don't need any sockets for the phone. The hub is a DECT base station and the DV phones are cordless handsets.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

It is just the router I am trying to use from the extension. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

I am bit confused so do you have FTTP fibre direct to your home or do you have FTTC fibre to street cab and existing copper to your home and use master socket to connect to broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

We previously had the broadband connected downstairs straight into the master socket but decided we would like to move the router upstairs as it was a bit of an eyesore where it was. 

so we had an extension connected from the master socket  from downstairs to upstairs we were told by the engineer that in order for this to work we would need a phone line connecting which we have done.  

I believe the broadband is FTTP 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

What a load of rubbish you were told.

If you have FTTP, the master socket is irrelevant, your router connects to the ONT (optical modem) not a master socket.

If you wish to move your router, you simply need to provide an Ethernet cable from the ONT to wherever you wish to site the router.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Oh guess not FTTP then our router connects into the master socket and works fine but when moved to the extension socket it won’t work 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Right, ok.

Then it has been wired incorrectly as described in my earlier post. Does your master socket have 2 sockets?

The question still remains as to whether you have Digital Voice or a conventional phone.

0 Ratings