cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

High Latency, Packet Loss and Generally Terrible Performance When Gaming

We have recently upgraded to fibre optic connection and I’m getting 150mbps download speeds (only 8.4mbps upload speeds) and ever since I’ve found any online multiplayer games for the PS5 to be almost unplayable. I have port forwarded, set up DNS servers and have the console wired into a BT WiFi Disc (unable to plug directly into the router because of layout of the house) does anyone know how to rectify this? Got FTTC in hopes in would provide faster speeds and reliability yet I’m completely unable to use my console for multiplayer games now, any help would be good thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: High Latency, Packet Loss and Generally Terrible Performance When Gaming

You really need to wire up directly to router for best performance.

What other activity is on your network when you have issues?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thats the thing, have very little traffic going through the router and this happens even when I'm the only one using the Internet, it says that the connection is excellent and have full bars the way I currently have it set up but receive constant latency issues even when there's no traffic on the router.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@JDM99 

As @Stu_H  has said, a direct wired connection to the BT Home Hub is the only answer. Any form of wireless connection will introduce latency, as wireless channels are shared amongst other nearby wireless routers and devices. Signal level is misleading, as it cannot tell you the actual wireless channel availability, only its strength.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I've only experienced this problem after upgrading to FTTP, before when using the old copper wiring it was fine using the same setup I'm using now; I know there will latency but this renders my online multiplayer unusable which is the mind boggling part as it was good connection and low latency before upgrading
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Have you used PingPlotter just to see if that helps to point to an issue?