cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Hub 2 incompatible with Amazon Echo stereo pair

Got my new 900 connection and hub 2 installed today.

Been using my own router with Virgin service, thought I’d give the hub 2 a try, but had to revert back to my own TP Link router.

I have a pair of Amazon Echo Studios set up as a stereo pair, and was unable to configure them as a pair with the hub 2 as there is no option to split the 2.4 and 5ghz Wi-Fi frequencies, so had to go back to using my own router.

Because you cannot split the frequencies on the hub 2 the echo’s are convinced they are on separate networks so the option to pair is not available.

I confirmed this with a pair of echo shows used as bedside clocks, and a pair or echo dots in a spare bedroom.

This problem not only stops you making a stereo pair, it also stops the setting up of multi room music, and also stops the home cinema functions should anyone want to set up speakers with an Amazon Fire TV.

I did also find some smart home apps on my tablet were much slower when connected to the hub2, for example my smart doorbell live feed took nearly two minutes to load, on the TPLink virtually instant.

Hope this helps any trying to set up Amazon devices

regards

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Hub 2 incompatible with Amazon Echo stereo pair

@Christinewrote:

I have a pair of Amazon Echo Studios set up as a stereo pair, and was unable to configure them as a pair with the hub 2 as there is no option to split the 2.4 and 5ghz Wi-Fi frequencies, so had to go back to using my own router.

You can't split them but you can disable the 5GHz frequency, connect your devices that only use 2.4GHz and then enable the 5GHz again.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Hub 2 incompatible with Amazon Echo stereo pair

Think I tried that, even if both Echos are connected to the same band, the app thinks they are on different networks, and won’t pair .
The idea is to have phones tablets and any streaming devices connected to 5ghz, but they just connect to the 2.4 if that’s enabled and stick there, leaving the 2,4 fir all my smart lamps, switches and other stuff

0 Ratings