cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 55

IPv6 on TP-Link Archer AX95 with BT Full Fibre

Go to solution

Hi, for the life of me I can't get IPv6 to work on my TP Link Archer, I've seen people have had success with the Deco models, I've tried the numerous settings.

I read BT has a weird implementation of IPv6? (they use a /56 prefix instead of standard /64, genius).

Anybody had success with this?

0 Ratings
54 REPLIES 54
Message 2 of 55

Re: IPv6 on TP-Link Archer AX95 with BT Full Fibre

Go to solution

The /56  prefix is correct and works just fine here.  I've previously use Hurricane Electric 6in4 Tunnelling IPv6 with a /48 prefix, so not everything is /64!

One thing to watch for is that by default BT only push IPv4 DNS server addresses to the router during WAN-DHCP.  I can't recall if these provide IPv6 addresses over DNSv4 as I don't use the default DNS anyway.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 55

Go to solution

Yes, the IPv4 DNS provides IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

Message 4 of 55

Go to solution

I’m using AdGuard Home on a Raspberry Pi as primary DNS and Cloudflare as Secondary, also put in cloudflare as the v6 DNS during my endeavours.

I have a 6to4 tunnel option that says it connects but I have no ipv6 on tests. Stumphed

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 55

Go to solution

Thanks to having to explain to someone why I dislike Ad Guard Home, I'm currently running it on my Asus GT-AX6000 router and it's pointing at the Quad9 DoT servers.  I much prefer running either "Diversion" on the router thanks to its better integration with the Asus Firmware, or Pi-Hole on an SBC because of it's interface.

One this that can be problematic (my favourite word) can be mixing and matching any kind of filtering DNS servers.  Running a locally caching DNS and a remote DNS can give unexpected results and one may filter when the other doesn't and devices tend to use the quickest DNS server not the "primary" first, and on a first time seek AGH is almost always going to be slower (as would Pi-Hole or Diversion be).  So you are probably using Cloudflare more than you'd think!

*Did you know that Cloudflare has malware filtering DNS on 1.0.0.2 and 1.1.1.2 and their associated IPv6 DNS too!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 55

Go to solution

My understanding is that windows has those tendencies, Apple devices and others tend to obey. (Mostly)

This doesn’t give any insight into IPv6 however.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 55

Go to solution

So what scope is your network achieving with IPv6.  Is it working locally, and what settings are you recieving from the BT servers?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 55

Go to solution

Local devices get their IPv6 addresses, ipv6 web tests shows I can reach IPv6 sites but do not have an IPv6 address assigned.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 55

Go to solution

Where are you looking for an IPv6 address? Your WAN won't have one.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 55

Go to solution

connection.png

Here, my router is also acting as the DNS server, and it does have it's own IPv6 address which is different from the WAN gateway which is specifically "local"

ipv6 page.png

On the Asus though getting the settings for BT is as simple as selecting the "native" connection type, and everything else gets filled in for you when you apply.

0 Ratings