cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Major lag when gaming

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, my connection seems stable apart from when im playing games. Just wondering ifg anyone has any advice on how to improve this. Ive looked at pinplotter and it appears like the issues is on BT's side but i dont really understand what im looking at.  Using a cat 6 ethernet.

This one shows it at its best

SuperLag_0-1629675592920.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Major lag when gaming

and at its worst (which is most frequent). These were recorded while playing

Screenshot (7).png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

using wifi or ethernet?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

ethernet thats plugged into the bt home hub router and it has only started happening about a week maybe two weeks ago. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

You're not alone mate, BT are doing this on purpose to people as they are prioritising where data gets sent to, as the money is made in streaming services like netflix, so you can kiss a stable connection to anything else goodbye (I watch livestreams on twitch and it just constantly pauses).

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Unstable-connection-high-ping-spikes/td-p/19168...

Here is a thread that has links to multiple people who have had this issue, and I think many of them have moved away from the openreach network luckily, whereas im stuck with BT as my area only has the openreach network available otherwise I would have switched immediately. My father has been a long-time customer of BT, years of perfect broadband only up until 3 months ago with these ping spikes. As people are getting away from their network for these ping spikes, they've decided to mess with people who can't escape their openreach network like me.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Just strange that its been fine for years. Internet has always been relatively slow where i live but at least it was stable. Now its just a mess. Do you know what ISPs are not in the openreach network as im out of contract? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

As far as I know, there is City Fibre, Gigaclear, Hyperoptic and Virgin. I'm not too sure if theres others but they were all I could find so far.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

What is your upload and download rates?

is this pc or console?

what other activity was on your network at the time?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Download = 17.71 Mbps and upload = 1.03 Mbps. So not very good! but has always been stable and MP games have always been very responsive until now.

I was playing on PC, and there was no one else on the network.

Sometimes in the evening someone may be watching TV but it doesnt seem to make any affect the lag is terrible regardless. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

The upload is right on the limit so anything else communicating up in the background is going to create issues like IoTs.
there are routers out there that can help with traffic priority for devices and offer QoS but the upload is really on the limit for them to help as the better systems need to cap both DL and UL so you loss throughput. 
Some routers if the game supports it can do geo fencing so you can see the servers and pick the one with the lowest ping and these routers do offer a far better QoS and traffic control than the BT routers.