cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Really???

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can help. I have upgraded my broadband from 150 to 500mbps, however I am not getting consistent speeds at all. I have had a BT Engineer visit, changed the router ( that's all she could do apparently and run speed tests) Then put the old router back in and Referred the case to Openreach. They came out and said the light is strong enough from the cable, cannot understand why its reaching max speed 500mbps, next minute, its dropped to 8mbps and everywhere inbetween. It's up and down every minute! I wouldn't mind so much but we have 3 kids and without internet we have issues haha. I have rang BT gain (had to use the im thinking about leaving option to get through!) and requested a wifi disc incase that's the issue, only to be told I'll have to pay £51.06 per month for the privilege. Is there anything I can do to figure out what the issue is?. I will say, I never had this issue until clicking upgrade button!!

Thanks,

Angela & Dale

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Really???

I should add, Openreach replaced the white FTTP box and explained we should contact BT with the issue. I cannot under why they can't send a WiFi disc out for us to try and if it works, we know the issue. If not they get it back and look into it further

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

If there is a problem with the connection speed, then adding a WiFi disc is going to cure nothing!  So you need to make sure the problem is the connection speed and not something else.  To test this you really need to run a speed test from a device that has a wired ethernet connection directly to the router, or even by using an ethernet cable between the ONT (white box) and a device with an ethernet port.  When you've tested this, if everything is good, then you'll need to start looking at the WiFi!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for your reply.

Speeds are fine with Ethernet cable connected. It's a new build and from what I have been reading, wifi can bounce off the metal in the wall! I don't know, but everything was fine u til we upgraded.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

So it's not an internet connection problem as speed to devices is ok using ethernet connection but it is a WiFi problem within your home. Have you tried changing the WiFi channels from auto to a specific channel by using a WiFi analyser on your phone which will show channels in use and enable you to select a free or less congested channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Yes tried changing channels, i have an app that shows me whats what. I have also tried using 2.4ghz and 5ghz separately. This is why I think the WiFi disc may help. Although, the engineer stated the box is close to the front door and should reach your living room without an issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Have you tried using a longer ethernet cable to move the position of THE BT hub to see if that helps   I am surprised that the WiFi cannot cover the distance from your front door to your living room.  I doubt BT will loan you a disc to just try.  Have you thought of getting WiFi extenders

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

It's just strange that it worked fine before we upgraded to 500... I have another engineer coming on Friday to see what can be done. I don't hold out much hope, I thought there may be something that can be done within the router apart from channel changes.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

That's my next attempt to see if it helps. Wasn't sure if I could use a long ethernet cable, but it's worth a try!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Is the new BT hub in the same position as the "older" hub was. It may be that if it is in a different position that it is being affected by electrical interference such as a boiler, fridge, freezer etc or if it is near to the front door it could be some electrical source from out side that is causing the problem.

0 Ratings