cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Slow and very intermittent wifi

Go to solution
Hi. I am at the end of a long run of copper and no chance of fibre although we have a fibre exchange. I am getting very slow and or no service for several hours then back to “normal” 20mb speeds then drops again. I have run the my bt test and it shows speeds to the device of 0.2 download and 0.3 upload when I am having problems. I have Sonos and various iPads, phones, laptops , TV etc plugged in. About 20 devices max. Most are dormant and no heavy use with video or Netflix type apps. Welcome any suggestions as the engineers I get from open reach have done the best they can and the home engineers don’t care as it’s getting to the router. The wifi is unusable for 50-70% of the day. Previously it was fine. Slow but steady.
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Slow and very intermittent wifi

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

hi

thanks for the response.  Quiet line checked and line silent 

the stats you request.  are they these

Connection statusConnected
Connection typeFibre Broadband (VDSL)
Firmware versionv0.38.00.10147-BT (Fri Oct 14 23:39:03 2022)
Serial numberremoved by me
Downstream sync speed24.0 Mbps
Upstream sync speed7.5 Mbps
Network uptime0 days 23 Hours 6 Mins 13 Secs
System uptime0 days 23 Hours 7 Mins 42 Secs
Public Wi-fi statusActive

i also got these

featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 
32.1207.1516.5AvailableAvailable--
30.916.574.312.8AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33050--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 2--1 to 3AvailableYes
Up to 2Up to 0.51 to 3AvailableYes
Up to 2--1 to 3Available--
0.5----AvailableYes
0.5----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 2--1 to 3--Yes
Up to 2--1 to 3----
Up to 0.5--1 to 3--Yes
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2023-03-17
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
08-03-2023
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

hope this makes sense and thank you

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

just to clarify i don't think the speed to the router can be improved and accept that 20mb is the best i can get 

The problem is that the wifi speed varies.  sometimes it is 20mb and most of the time is about .02mb  

it used to be stable and now its unusable for a lot of the time.  

i have had many engineers visit the house and the next ne is due Monday but they don't care as it intermittent and works as far as the router.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@Way2go 

sorry but that is not the hub stats from advanced settings/technical log information

connection time is 23hrs was that manual reset or router dropping internet connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

thanks for your help and sorry about that 

i hope this is now the right data 

his is a list of your Hub settings and current statistics.

Product code:Hub

Serial number:+091298+1919006897

Firmware version:v0.38.00.10147-BT

Firmware updated:Wed Feb 15 21:22:29 2023

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.77 20_05_2022

DSL uptime:1 days,03 Hours21 Mins57 Secs

Data rate:7.529 Mbps / 24.027 Mbps

Maximum data rate:7.529 Mbps / 24.180 Mbps

Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:On

Noise margin:6.0 / 5.9

Line attenuation:11.8 / 26.6

Signal attenuation:11.8 / 33.7

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:2.6 GB Uploaded / 18.6 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Public Wi-fi status:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-GFA85C

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-GFA85C

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:WPA2

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:64:CC:22:D9:B4:A4

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

regarding the question of the router - i rebooted it manually 
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Those stats look OK but because you removed the exchange and cab you are supplied by we don't know if they could be better.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Unfortunately no ISP guarantees WiFi speeds as there are too many variables. Have you tried changing channels?

@pippincp  and @imjolly The OP is happy with connection speed

Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Also try changing modes.

Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
thank you for your advice - how do i do that please?
0 Ratings