cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

SmartHub 2 and TP-Link OneMesh

I have a SmartHub 2, but its wifi range is limited in my house because of thick walls, so (on the advice of a BT adviser) I bought some Powerline extenders.  However, they are themselves limited by the fact that there are two different electrical circuits in the house. So I bought a wifi range extender (TP-Link RE650) which works very well

However - as I move around the house I have to keep switching between the router's SSID and the extender's - my phone, for example, doesn't do this automatically as I had been led to expect by the OneMesh feature provided by TP-Link. It turns out (as confirmed by the extender's own app) that the 'current main router does not support OneMesh'.  That's pretty unwelcome news. Is there a way around it? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: SmartHub 2 and TP-Link OneMesh

Take a look at the TP-Link Deco wireless mesh, as these work very well here.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/

I use the Deco E4.

You have to connect one unit direct to your home hub Ethernet port, and the others link to it using both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. There is also a separate network which can be configured as 2.4GHz only, which is useful for many IOT devices which are mainly 2.4GHz only. 

Its best to turn the Wi-Fi off on your home hub.

Message 3 of 5

Many thanks for this - I shall look into it with interest. 

I've always been puzzled by the idea of switching wi-fi off on a router, as it seems on the face of it to be doing away with one of its main purposes. Am I right in thinking therefore that the wifi generated by a third-party setup such as the Deco takes over that duty completely from the router? (Actually, as I typed those words I think I answered my own question...) 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Avoid wireless extenders. I would recommend placing a wireless point (you can repurpose an unused router if you want a cheap alternative) in the “challenged” room. Connect this to your router with a network cable. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Yes the Deco will be the wireless network.
I’ve used mine for about 2 years, My main router wireless is turned off.
Then you can move seamlessly round the house
0 Ratings