cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Stop BT WiFI on smart hub 2

I want to stop the public BT WiFi  on my Smart Hub 2.  I've read a lot of the threads about on this forum and I've tried what was suggested.  I've opted out via the MyBt route but the public wifi SSIDs are still being broadcast.  Can anyone offer a solution?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Stop BT WiFI on smart hub 2

It can take up to 4 weeks but probably less after you opt out for hub to be updated and stop btwifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Many thanks for your helpful post.  I'll wait patiently and see what happens!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The public wifi is entirely isolated from your home network and is secure. Your home network also has priority at all times and only 'spare' bandwidth is allocated to the public wifi signal.

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your reply. I accept what you say and my concern isn't about the security or bandwidth aspects of BT WiFi.  The problem is that the master socket and router are located within about half a metre of my computer desk and where I sit.  It isn't easy to move either the router or the computer desk.  However, I don't want to sit so close to something emitting wireless signals.

Previously, I was using a router with all the wireless turned off and this was linked via ethernet to a wireless access point in another location.  I would  continue to use another router but I can't because I have been moved across to digital voice and that only works with the Smart Hub 2.

If I can't turn off BT WiFi, which today becomes EE WiFi, as I have switched to EE, I shall be forced to move the router.  I don't particularly want to pay to have the master socket moved as eventually full fibre will be available in my area. The only alternative I can see is to use a longer lead between the master socket and the router. Most of the technical experts advise against this and say that it reduces the speed of the broadband.

Why can't BT/EE simply provide an option in the router interface to turn BT/EE WiFi off? 

The whole concept of BT WiFi is outdated, as most people have data access via their mobile and so many locations (hotels, clubs, coffee shops, shopping centres, garden centres, airports, motorway services, etc.) provide guest access to their WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@Martyn55 

The Smart Hub 2 transmits both wireless and DECT, and its not possible to stop all electromagnetic radiation, if that is what you are concerned about?

Extending the RJ11 lead, is not going to affect the speed, as the cable to the house from the cabinet, is much longer.

Message 7 of 9

@Martyn55 

For the brief time I used the SH2 - switched to Digital Voice - I disabled all wifi not by turning off the 2.4 & 5 GHz frequencies but actually disabling it and it certainly stopped BT Wifi from transmitting. Can't remember exactly where in the settings but it is there.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I would love to know where those settings are!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

In V0.42 firmware, it is at Home > Advanced settings > Advanced wireless….Top of page “Disable all wireless”.

I believe the setting is not present in very old versions of the firmware.  (I know it is in V0.40 & 41).  As others have said, I do not believe it turns off the DECT, or the backhaul for the mesh disks that can be used, but the BT wi fi certainly disappears.

While I appreciate your concerns, I would also point out the part of the spectrum concerned is the low energy end, (lower energy than visible light, in fact), and this type of signal has been very widely used for many years.  If any ill effects had been observed they would have been widely reported by now.

0 Ratings