cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Turning off router when not needed.

The router (Smart Hub latest - 4 I think) uses 0.24KWhr per 24 hrs (I have plugged a watt checker in to get this.) That's 8p per hour or £36 per year. To save money I could reduce that by at least 25%. I know some will say that's silly but I only give providers the minimum I can possible manage. Because I have digital voice that cuts off the phone of course. It is interesting that if one picks up the receiver when the power is off an announcement comes on after some NU tone. So it seems the exchange can indeed make a call to the phone (on the landline). This may mean incoming calls are possible. Is this true?

Any comment on this post detail welcome as I'm trying to understand stuff. Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Turning off router when not needed.

if you turn the SH2 off then you cannot make or receive calls on DV phones

do you have FTTC or FTTP?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@rogmyleswrote:

The router (Smart Hub latest - 4 I think) uses 0.24KWhr per 24 hrs (I have plugged a watt checker in to get this.) That's 8p per hour or £36 per year.

Hi @rogmyles   A small correction required, that is 8p per day (not hour).

Message 4 of 6

Agree.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I have old copper coming into my house so I guess it's FTTC?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

if you have FTTC then turning hub on/off when you want to use it can have an adverse effect on your connection speed as the DLM may see that as unstable connection and adjust your connection accordingly.  saying that some people do it without any problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.