cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Using 3rd party router with FTTP900

Hi guys, 

Yesterday I had my Fibre 900 installed and am not impressed at all with the Smart Hub 2 in terms of performance and range, so I ordered this which arrives tomorrow - ASUS DSL-AX82U (Dual Band WiFi 6 Extendable xDSL Modem Gaming Router) 

I have looked at the search feature before posting, but cannot find the settings I need to put into the ASUS as I am going to connect from the mater socket directly to the WAN port of the new router. 

Can anyone please help? 

TIA

IMG_0257.jpeg

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Using 3rd party router with FTTP900

@Dangerousdriver77 

Copper based master socket is no longer used for full fibre.

You need to use an ethernet cable from lan port of ONT (the box as shown below) to WAN port of the router you want to use 

You then need to use connection type PPPoE with username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and Password BT

300px-Fttp-ont-pon.jpg

Message 3 of 15

Yep, cheers. I was going to connect direct to the WAN port of the router from the ONT, it was just the settings I wasn’t sure of. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@jac_95 's info is spot on.  If you need more help setting up your router (the DSL-AX82 is not the best choice) then you might want to visit SNBForums for many things Asus router related.
The output from the Smart Hub 2 does seem to be significantly lower than my GT-AX6000!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

@Dangerousdriver77YYou really should have bought the RT version of the Asus rather than the DSL version. The DSL modem portion of the Asus isn't needed with FTTP, you just need a router

Message 6 of 15

Oddly the DSL-AX82U  has often been cheaper than the RT-AX82U and as they both have a WAN port I can see why might want to go for the DSL variant.  Though with the current price of the RT-AX82U on the Asus Eshop (£100 less than Amazon), I'd suspect it's no longer in production.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 7 of 15

To be honest I didn’t do my homework and check that there was a non DSL variant. I’ve returned it and ordered this instead. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

I didn’t even know there was a non DSL variant! I should have done my homework lol. I’ve returned it and ordered another one anyway. Hopefully that will be better than the Smart Hub 2! 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

One thing to note. The smart hub 3 is slated for a July 20th release. Its WiFi performance will basically be the rt-ax82u plus it will be free on a recontract.

If you still want to go Asus and can't wait 2 months then the tuf-ax5400 is an rt-ax82u in different clothing. Currently £132 at amazon

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Is it the same chipset then with drivers?

0 Ratings