cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Using 3rd party router with FTTP900

Probably a slightly later chipset, but as far as consumers are concerned it's just a router so no drivers are needed!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

So not the same then. What’s the licences behind BTs routers. Do they use the chipsets manufactures drivers which I’ll guess is Broadcom or are they using open drivers?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

You don't need to install "router specific" drivers. Ethernet and WiFi interfaces are standardized protocols you just need to make sure your clients (i.e devices) are capable of using the higher capable standard protocols that router offers.

BT will usually use 2 or more vendors for the manufacturing of their hubs so they may use 2 different chipset vendors too. However, the interface's are standardized.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Message 15 of 15

That’s not what I meant, Keith linked it for me.
So for example Netgear, Asus, Unifi, Cisco all use licensed drivers from the chip manufacturer. These are used to handle for example the WIFI side.
Others like many of the unknown type routers found on Amazon or other sites use open drivers which don’t have the same performance but might allow more alteration.
So it could be Broadcom, Qualcomm, Mediatek and god forbid Intel.
0 Ratings