cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Whole home disc 2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz

Hi

I have a Smart hub 1 and I’m considering purchasing a single white while home disc to put upstairs to improve the signal up there. This disc would be hard wired into a switch located in the loft. I have separated the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels on my hub as some of my devices failed to connect to my network when both channels shared the same SSID.  My question is, if I add a single white hard wired disc upstairs, would this also broadcast both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels?  As I understand it the Smart hub 2 can’t separate the channels, so that is not an option for me. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Whole home disc 2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz

@Finkfan77 

As a dual band device, I would expect it to transmit both bands.

A much better and much cheaper option is to connect a wireless access point to the end of the cable.

The TP Link TL-WA801N costs about £22 and only transmits 2.4GHz.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/

Its very easy to setup.

Message 3 of 7

Thanks for that. I’ll take a look now 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I have used a number of these in the past, to allow a reliable connection to 2.4GHz IP cameras. You just plug it in, and it gets an IP address from your home hub.

You configure the wireless settings using a web browser, no special app is needed. TP Link provide a setup video on their website, if you need it. You just use the wireless access point option.

It also has MAC filtering if you want to restrict connection to certain wireless devices.

Message 5 of 7

Can I expect similar speeds to the hub from the access point ? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

The Ethernet port is 100Mbs, which is more that adequate for any 2.4GHz device.

TP Link specification 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz between wireless devices.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/#specifications

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

2.4Ghz has higher latency and less throughput, the spec on sheets mean 0 as it’s just what it’s capable of and on 2.4Ghz it’s normally the max on a 40Mhz channel which is a no go for most people. In  environments with lots of interference you will get lower throughput and more clients adds more latency. 

for a security camera that’s making a wireless connection it’s good practise to make sure the client and receiver ie your router or AP supports PMF so it’s more secure and look for the cameras that work on 5Ghz as it’s a tad harder to deauth them.  If it’s just a camera for general use then it’s not a concern.

0 Ratings