cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

WiFi 6 router advice

Hi,

I have bt 900 full fibre package. I don't have anything connected by ethernet to my router. Everything is connected by 2.4 or 5 WiFi. I don't have Xbox or gaming pc. All device are smart TVs, mobile phones, tablets etc. I reckon if everything connected at the same time it'll be about 20 devices max. I've had my router about 3 years, is tp link vr600 ac1600 and works fine with WiFi throughout the house.

Thinking of getting a WiFi 6 router to future proof as kids have new WiFi 6 mobiles and my new phone will be also.

Question is I can get a tp link WiFi 6 ax3000 router for £75 or a ax5400 for £150. As both are WiFi 6 , on basis of no Xbox etc, will the ax3000 be plenty or is it worth getting the ax5400 as I guess we'll have more WiFi 6 devices in years to come?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: WiFi 6 router advice

If you want to future proof, I would advise to hold off a bit and wait for the newer WiFi 7 routers that should be coming out later this year.

There are already some on Ebay right now but they are pretty expensive and might not be fully certified.

Wifi 7 has all the benefits of 6/6e, which includes the new 6ghz band. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Noted with thanks

Message 4 of 5

Hi @philipjulie - I have the ax5400 and it’s been absolutely rock solid on fibre 500 with multiple WiFi 6 devices.  

Worth noting that it is often available for £100 from Amazon (which is what I paid for mine c18 months ago). I can’t really comment on WiFi 7 supported routers, but at that price I think the ax5400 is good value. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Sounds perfect, thank you 

0 Ratings