cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

WiFi Signal keeps dropping

I’ve had BT full fibre 500 for three weeks now & am having problems with the WiFi signal dropping, anything between 5 & 10 times a day on average. The lights on the hub remain blue when this happens, TV through the BT box pro is unaffected as it is connected via an Ethernet cable. The hub is on a table, no obstacles or electrical devices directly next to it. The WiFi signal drops & takes maybe a minute or two to return again. I’ve contacted BT via online chat three times now. They've performed factory resets,  adjusted channel settings, configurations, etc, each time they’ve told me that it should all be ok now, but still the problem persists. I’m getting a good broadband speed when it is working, it’s just the WiFi connection continually dropping out at random that’s the issue. Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated please. I’m new here & not tech-savvy at all….but I was under the impression that full fibre was supposed to be more reliable!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: WiFi Signal keeps dropping

Hi @Indigo1974,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry if you've been experiencing issues with the stability of your Wireless connection. A wireless connection can become unstable for various reasons, the most common are congestion and interference. This can be because of competing wireless signals and devices.

Normally adjusting the channels and moving the hub's location should help, I'm sorry if you haven't noticed any improvement after trying that.

How many devices do you have connected to the Wifi? It could be one or some of those devices contributing to the issue.

My suggestion is a bit of trial and error. I would disconnect all the devices and reconnect them one by one to see if they have an impact.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I have 16 devices connected; is this a lot….too many?! To be honest, not really sure what they all are, but I suppose when I think of all the different devices in the house: Alexa, Apple TV, PS5, doorbell, a couple of cameras, 2 phones, 2 iPads, printer; I guess you are easily getting into double figures.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for getting back @Indigo1974 

16 devices conncted at the same time isn't a lot in modern terms but it's worth remembering they'er all sharing whatever bandwidth is available. The best advice as is what @PaddyB has posted. Can you give it a try and let us know how you get on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Yes I will give that a try, thank you
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@Indigo1974 

What can also help is a factory reset of the home hub, as it can run out of internal connections which will cause devices to drop. 

Its more of a problem if any of your devices are configured for MAC randomisation (sometimes called private addressing), as that can cause multiple unused allocations for the same device.

Change them to device MAC address.

A normal restart does not clear these entries, only a factory reset does that.

If you have BT Digital Voice and are using any of the BT supplied phones, make sure you backup the phone numbers from the home hub, before you do a factory reset. You can restore them afterwards.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thank you.
BT performed one factory reset from their end while I was on online chat to them but I haven’t done one myself as yet.
0 Ratings