cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Wifi signal

I have recently changed from Plusnet to BT Full Fibre with an EE Smart Hub. We live in a three storey house and the Hub is on the bottom floor as this is when the newly installed router is . I have placed the Hub on top of a bookcase, away from an outside wall as high, and as central,  as possible given the cable length available. The signal to the top floor appears to be weaker than the Plusnet before, TV takes time to load but this is not too bad. The real problem is that the datalogger and controller for the solar panels are also on the top floor and we don't seem to be able to connect to the WiFi. I now suspect this is because the signal strength is not sufficient, I have tried single channel on the Wi- Fi with no luck. So my question is what is the best way to boost the signal strength on the top floor? I have read about extenders and boosters but I am unsure if this is the correct way to go for this problem. Would an extender solve the problem or create more, as some articles suggest with wi-fi extenders. Also where would it be best to plug in and any recommendations for a cheapish solution. Thanks Alan

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wifi signal

@bugsieofchelsea 

Is connecting the solar panel controller and datalogger back to the SmartHub via ethernet cable possible and practical?

ie, do both of the pieces of solar panel kit have an ethernet socket, and is there a route to run the cable - possibly externally?

An ethernet connection is almost always going to be more reliable than WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

It is very difficult to run an ethernet cable from the solar panel controller to the hub. It would require a major rewiring  exercise. Thanks Alan

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

You could try powerline adapters to get ethernet to the controller. I can't imagine the connection is very demanding so might work. Only one way to find out.

Or you could move the Hub up a floor. It's only a cat 5e ethernet connection back to the ONT.

Otherwise you're looking at a mesh system. Either BT/EE's own if you can get it as a cheap add-on or a third party.

Just a thought but was Plusnet also FTTP? If so & you don't have Digital Voice, you could try putting that in place of the EE Hub. Just need to add the BT credentials.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I don't think I can use powerline connectors as the solar system is not connected to the mains via a three pin plug and socket.

I don't think I can move the Hub up a floor as again I have problems with the ethernet cabling, needing a rewire?

I do have Digital Voice so the Plusnet hub is out.

I am not sure what a mesh system is, but I will research, where would i find details of the BT/EE one?

Thanks for your help Alan

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

You just need a mains socket relatively close by, it then connects by ethernet cable.

If you're a BT customer go to MyBT > Your Products > Broadband & look for the Complete WiFi Option. For some it's a negligible cost & for others it's outrageous. In my case BT want £40 pm for 24 months!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the advice but the solar controller is behind a built in wardrobe (in a  space known as Narnia) and it would mean drilling through two walls to get the ethernet cable to to the nearest mains socket. I will investigate a bit further but is difficult to get in and out of Narnia. 

I will look at the BT website

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

There are powerline adapters that are also Wireless Access Points.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Ok thanks I will investigate

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10