cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

using my own router with bt

Hi,

I've just switched over from virgin media,  I wish to use my old router nighthawk with bt but it doesn't have any RJ11 port. and the bt home hub has no modem mode like how virgin media has on their hubs. So I have to use some sort of modem on my line then I can hook up the router to that. what are people using for modems? My cabinet is on Huawei equipment. I'm on the fibre 2 broadband 78down 18up

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: using my own router with bt

@mtlathome 

Search for  Huawei HG612 Modem

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

You don't have to be in modem mode for your own router to work.

It will still work if you just plug it in and leave the BT network active. Same lead you used for the VM hub.

You can set the Wifi channels away on your own router away from the three fixed by BT.  You can also switch off the wifi bands on the BT router.

@mtlathomewrote:

Hi,

I've just switched over from virgin media,  I wish to use my old router nighthawk with bt but it doesn't have any RJ11 port. and the bt home hub has no modem mode like how virgin media has on their hubs. So I have to use some sort of modem on my line then I can hook up the router to that. what are people using for modems? My cabinet is on Huawei equipment. I'm on the fibre 2 broadband 78down 18up

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

did you get a landline connection or just broadband only?  if landline are you on digital voice?  if so that will only work with the BT hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@ozsatwrote:

It will still work if you just plug it in and leave the BT network active. Same lead you used for the VM hub.

You can set the Wifi channels away on your own router away from the three fixed by BT.  You can also switch off the wifi bands on the BT router.

@mtlathomewrote:

Hi,

@ozsatwrote:

@mtlathomewrote:

Hi,

Yes that can be done if you are happy with double NATting.

0 Ratings