cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: TNT Sports on Fire Stick - Any Update?

I tried a few models of Fire Stick and didn't see any frames dropped at all*. WBD are the same.
* I did see quite a few frames dropped when I first launched the app, but that's because the device hasn't been used for a while and was busy installing updates in the background. After a couple of minutes it calmed down and I've never seen dropped frames since.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

I've noticed issues on several apps when first started. I always ensure it has about 10-15 minutes to do it's own stuff before I watch something I really want.

But I'm happy to try a particular asset that gets reported.

@DarrenDevwrote:
I tried a few models of Fire Stick and didn't see any frames dropped at all*. WBD are the same.
* I did see quite a few frames dropped when I first launched the app, but that's because the device hasn't been used for a while and was busy installing updates in the background. After a couple of minutes it calmed down and I've never seen dropped frames since.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Got live Moto GP on TNT5  on two devices  -  getting 1-2 frame drops at most every minute.

UPDATE: As discussed elsewhere before - Discovery+ app fails to set the default frame rate to 50Hz.

I have just changed the Amazon to output at 50Hz to match the Discovery+ source - and after five minutes the dropped frames is even less - 4 after five minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

@Popeye13_Officialwrote:

FIRE STICK.jpg

Frame Rate of 26.672 seems odd to me - would that be a reason why there are issues?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Thought id see if the Silk Browser on the stick was any better - Its flawless!

Which begs the question of the absolute (You know what) can the same device playback the Sheffield Utd Vs Everton match on TNT Sports 1, in HD, with not a single dropped frame, yet the app on the same device is beyond a joke? Its using the same hardware, same broadband connection; just different method of accessing the stream!

Frame Rate of 26.672 seems odd to me - would that be a reason why there are issues?

iPlayer never reports 50fps correctly either, it hovers at 47 - 49.990. The BT Sport app would report 49.990 and initially Now TV reports 24.990 before it goes to 50.000 on a full 1080p res with Boost. (It finally locks at 25.000 once its gone to 720p if you don't have Boost or are watching the Sport Extra streams)

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Bit of a follow-up:

Been using the Silk Browser to watch today and its not as brilliant as i first believed. The stream will fail suddenly for no reason on occasion and if you've been watching for a while, it will begin dropping frames like no bodies business (Like its getting tired almost !!) Exiting the feed for 10-15sec's fixes it but that becomes a pain when your in the middle of watching a fight or half of footy!!

The playback on the UHD stream for the Premier League earlier wasn't too bad either and didn't see any dropped frames, but that was over a period of around 20mins so not a proper test.

I do think im gonna bin off the Fire Stick. Ive had enough of the issues and weird bugs over the years that D+ and a few others have that makes it more and more a pain in the backside; its 2023 and yet most apps still don't support auto-frame rate matching ffs! Sadly, the Apple TV isn't reliable either which leaves me in a bit spot with regards to what to go with that isn't going to result in questionable consistency or juddery playback.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

@Popeye13_Official 

I've never found a better steaming device than the Roku 4K Streaming stick. I have one on my bedroom TV (sitting room has BT TV Pro) and use it for Discovery+ (TNT Sports) and Now (Sky Sports) and it's very reliable. Can set the frame-rate to matching and I've never had any sort of judder or dropped frames. It consistently feels like a "TV" level of 50fps smooth viewing rather than a "stream".

Others mileage may vary however I've found the Roku to best for these 2 apps (plus the BT Sport app) where smoothness is everything when watching sports. Better than the Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast and inbuilt TV apps.

Message 18 of 24

Its funny because i was thinking that and was having a browse earlier for one. The recommendation is greatly appreciated @ChrisR6262 

Message 19 of 24

I cannot thank you enough for this recommendation @ChrisR6262

It arrived today (4K Streaming Stick) and its been absolutely fantastic from the moment i began watching AC Milan Vs Newcastle on TNT Sports 1, and then went to TNT Sports Ultimate for City Vs Red Star.

Playback has been smooth, without incident and not one dropout, stutter or quality crash. Finally a device that isn't a bag of $£%& and just......works!

Message 20 of 24

Just watching TNT sport on a 4k Firestick and about every two minutes I get a black blank screen for a split second. 

0 Ratings